Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a nuc in mid May and added super to it when I got it home and set up. No queen excluder, just the deep brood box and a medium super. I was advised to feed it a pollen patty and 1:1 sugar syrup to help it get started, which I did in mid June. I checked it today and the second pollen patty has been consumed and they have been drawing comb and have almost filled the medium super with capped honey and some brood. The bottom brood box has a good bit of brood as well. Question: since we are now supposed to be in a dearth here in north Florida, what management techniques should I emply? I am inclined to add another super (switching out some frames) and continue feeding so the colony will keep growing...but if I do that, should I keep the same solution of sugar syrup or go to 2:1? Do I continue feeding them all summer til our September nectar flow? OR just leave them alone and let them take it from here themselves? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Add a medium, shuffle the frames to open the brood nest, and feed 2:1. Do not pull the honey off this year as it is "fake" -- mostly sugar water.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts