Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been my 3rd summer keeping bees - and I'm praying that this will be the year they make it through the winter. Year 1 - I had one hive, came back from a month-long summer trip and they were gone (no bees, alive or dead)
Year 2 - one hive, decimated by mites, then too weak to fight off SHB. Tried to nurse them through the winter, but the population was too small and they didn't make it.
Year 3 - two hives for insurance & comparison. One is doing better than the other, but both look good going into winter. Fingers crossed :)

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone here!

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
5,808 Posts
Hi there Wild, welcome to Beesource. You do not say if you ever treated your hives or not, but treating properly and timely for mites will help ensure winter survival, all other things being equal. It is too late now to treat and have it help for this winter, but a Thanksgiving Day OAV treatment, followed by another around Christmas, will make sure the hives are mite free for the following Spring. The good news is that hives that are still alive in November stand a pretty good chance of making it until March, provided they have sufficient food stores. Many hives die in March because they run out of stores as they start to brood up for the spring flow, so watch that carefully. Having two hives is a much better plan than just one, and each additional hive you have going into winter increases the likelihood that you will not have to buy bees the following year.

Reactions: Litsinger

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Welcome, Wild.

I'll be pulling for you that both of your colonies pull through this Winter and you will be in colony expansion mode this Spring!

Glad you joined the forum- I'll look forward to your contributions.

Russ

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Welcome, your first year sounds like my first year; as JW says, treat for those mites and your percentage for their survival is high.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts