Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Jenter kit and have had mixed success with it. The big problem is getting the workers to draw out the plastic Jenter cells, but enough of this as it works of sorts now. My question is about the parts included with the kit. There are two designs for the cell carrier, a smooth sided carrier and a serrated carrier, and I cannot understand the difference between them or if they are used for different purposes. I have emailed Mr. Jenter several times and although he answers my other questions he will not reply to this question. Does anyone kno wif the two shapes are just different designs for the same thing or if they are used for different purposes?
Thanks in advance.
auzbee

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Are you talking about the larger yellow cups, or the smaller brownish cups? but actually the answer is the same, originally both were smooth, and then appx. 7 or 8 years ago they must have changed manufacturers, and the new cups both had grooves added to them but all that I have purchased for a while are the grooved versions, but they work just as well.
If you are also talking about getting the workers to draw out the holes in the square box, keep putting honey on it and leave it in the hive for a week or so on a good flow and they will draw it out, takes a few tries to finally get it working but after that works fine.

if you are talking about actually getting the bees to make the queen cells, you need a really good starter with lots of young bees and the proper age lava?

https://www.google.com/search?q=jen...5DJOL0QHH_oCIAw&ved=0CCcQsAQ&biw=1600&bih=697

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/cellplugbox.html

·
Vendor
341 Posts
I recently purchased a Jenter kit and have had mixed success with it. The big problem is getting the workers to draw out the plastic Jenter cells, but enough of this as it works of sorts now. My question is about the parts included with the kit. There are two designs for the cell carrier, a smooth sided carrier and a serrated carrier, and I cannot understand the difference between them or if they are used for different purposes. I have emailed Mr. Jenter several times and although he answers my other questions he will not reply to this question. Does anyone kno wif the two shapes are just different designs for the same thing or if they are used for different purposes?
Thanks in advance.
auzbee
Both the smooth yellow holders and the grooved/serated are receivers of the brown plug/cell cup combo.

They both can be used with the virgin queen protector cell/cutter cage (the brown cup holds it in place), but the smooth is not compatible with the larger "hair-roller" intro cage.

The serated/grooved yellow holders can be inserted/nested into the smooth yellow holders, meaning if you attach the smooth ones to frames (or drop them into the wood Jenter bars, like what we sell) the serated can be removed (along with the cages, if needed). The larger "hair-roller" into cage will grip onto the serated/grooved yellow holder (with or without the smooth yellow holder attached) AND will also take the cell-protector cage as the brown cup is what holds that in place.

They basically do the same thing (in that they both hold the brown parts), but have different functions (too bad they couldn't be designed into one part). Again, the 2 different yellow holders are designed to nest and the grooved grips the "hair-roller" cage . . .

Also note, Jenter cages have a recess in their caps for queen candy, so that virgins may feed themselves.

We sell all Jenter parts and sell kits with the smooth holders and offer serated as a parts option.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for all of the information. I can see now how it all fits together, but it seems like the parts have been poorly designed and Mr. Jenter could have done a better job of it all.

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the information. I can see now how it all fits together, but it seems like the parts have been poorly designed and Mr. Jenter could have done a better job of it all.

Bob
I have one last question. You mentioned that one of the items is called a cutter cage. I assumed that this is to protect the queen cell from being attacked but the name cutter cage implies something else. Is there some other use for the cutter cell?
Thanks in advance

1 - 5 of 5 Posts