Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchase a significant number of glass jars from a US firm. They are made in China and I like the jars as they are good quality and my labels fit very well. I am not concerned about availability but rather possible contamination from Covid19. Given China's rather poor record recently does anyone else have this concern or am I paranoid

·
Registered
319 Posts
Covid-19 is already in Illinois, and I have never heard of anyone getting infected by contaminated glass. Everyone would be better off understanding it is a virus, not Chinese. Never hurts to wash first.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about the cardboard boxes that the jars come in.I receive numerous boxes, and I currently clean all cardboard nd the types of boxes before they come into my home. I never said it was the Chinese but rather the jars and boxes and packing material are from China.

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
About 3 days would be tops for survival of any of the virus on glass. I would worry more about it being comtaminated on the outside of the box by American hands. On cardboard survival time is shorter. Groceries I bring home I rotate to the back and only bother wiping items I will be using in the next three days. I try to keep track of where my hands have been and wipe door knobs.

To really be effective takes several observers to keep track of what you have touched, what has been disinfected or not etc. Almost impossible to keep it up flawlessly. After a short time you get complacent and just hit the most obvious touching of things you know have been mauled by many people.

I am in the age group to be considered an endangered species so I am being very careful but not paranoid.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
About 3 days would be tops for survival of any of the virus on glass. I would worry more about it being comtaminated on the outside of the box by American hands. On cardboard survival time is shorter. Groceries I bring home I rotate to the back and only bother wiping items I will be using in the next three days. I try to keep track of where my hands have been and wipe door knobs.
This is about what I was thinking. Odds are also that the jars were put on a ship (and not by plane) to travel to the US so they were probably in a shipping container for a few weeks before coming to the US and reaching you. I think most of the stuff I have seen says coronoviris lives less than a week on most surfaces

1 - 8 of 8 Posts