Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The temps. are in the 60s in the day and 30s at night .
Good or bad idea to slap jar feeders on my nucs?
I have been open feeding last 2 days and they are sucking it down.
Thank you.

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
I dislike jr feeders because of the differential of temperatures between day and night. Causes expansion and contraction and always seems to dump a bunch of syrup on some of my colonies. I like baggies on the top bars as the cluster keeps the syrup warm in your conditions and it can be consumed day and night and is emptied in four or five days. I know the importance of proper baggie sealing and level colonies so I don't harm bees with them.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Seems if there is a 25 or so degree difference in day and night temps it causes the jars to leak.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Mine do leak a little but it's not very much. Most of my inner covers have the hole in the corner. Any syrup that ran down the frames will be cleaned up pronto.
Occasionly I'll see a few spoonfuls in the oil in my beetle traps but never very much.

I open feed in the yard also with a 4 jar setup for the local bee trees. It sets on a small piece of plywood about 16" square. Some mornings there'll be a puddle under it but it rarely runs off the plywood.

Woody Roberts

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
Put a coffee can or similar device over the jars to reduce solar gain and it will minimize it, and since the leakage happens when the temp is climbing during the day unless the hive is awfully weak they will lap it up as fast as it leaks out. I use them all the time - even in weather like yours now - and it is never a problem unless the hive is already circling the drain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts