Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a swarm call. It's been pretty warm but I have high doubts this is an actual swarm for reproduction . Here's a few pics thought you might enjoy. Showed up to the house and it looked like this. :)

small swarm , maybe a pound and a half

·
Registered
31 Posts
oooh! There's at least a handful of them. Thanks for the pictures. Did you risk your life and um, limbs to save these bees? (If you're reading this as a non-beekeeper this is a joke). I'm curious, did you find a queen?
Dave

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, where is Blythe, California in relation to the spread of Africanized bees?
Its right in the middle of it and theres a huge possibility that these could be Africanized . Its too early for swarm season . Our season usually begins about late February. However , I typically find swarms all year round. I spotted one in mid december as well.
Yeah i thought the tape was funny too especially when i went up with no veil or gloves at brushed them right down into the box. ha

·
Registered
44 Posts
AIEEEE ! BEES ! THE HORROR ! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES ! HIDE THE CHILDREN ! CALL THE POLICE !!!

Sheesh, it's just a little swarm minding it's own business.....

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had about 2 swarms captured about 2 weeks ago. Have to feed them sugar water but they can still collect pollen right now.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Geezz. Did the bees murder someone there. Did they cause a fire. What's with the yellow tape. Is there a chalk outline somewhere. Are there any sting casings laying around?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I caught a swarm that size in late july that I put on foundation. They drew 2 deep boxes (8frame)then produced a medium super of honey by the end of october. I wish all my swarms boomed like that.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
:D I got a panic call from a fire station this summer and arrived to something similar plus lots of flashing lights! They were in a panic as it was the middle of fire season and the whole station was held up by a softball sized clump of bees. They had the entire back end of the station taped off and blocked by vehicles and noone was allowed back there until I arived. I had a real hard time keeping a straight face as I brushed them bare-handed into a hive body, thanked them and drove away.:D

·
Registered
410 Posts
Had the same panic situation during our first African season. A swarm flew into a sheriff patrol car and the deputy called an officer down. They blocked a major intersection back a quarter mile in all directions. The free lance news media heard it on their scanners and by the time I arrived, it was a major event. It was just a gentle swarm. The bees walked right into my catch box laced with pheramones. The news folks were bummed because I wouldn't even put on my bee suite.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Two people died last year around in my county the Imperial County from bee nests. Blythe is about 2 hours away from me so perhaps they are just being cautious.

I don't know if there is a Vector Control in Blythe but they will usually do that in Imperial County if it's a nest in a dangerous situtation.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
So now we all know where that honey they tried to smuggle onto the plane in California came from. This is obviously part of an on-going investigation. ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Bradley I have a question for you since you are from Blythe. Do you know Pratt Aparies from Blythe? I see a lot of their hives in other beekeepers sheds down here in the Valley.

Do they sell hives/queens/packages? or do you think maybe they just sold some old equipment to people. I've been looking to buy some hives to expand my business and it sure would be nice to just go pick them up in Blythe because so far the closest I've found is about 6 hours away.

Thanks for any info given I appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts