Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting a bit annoyed and frustrated with my current bee suit(coveralls with hard hat and veil combination). It was a freebie from a former keeper but it has been a bit tight to get in and out of and the zipper doesn't zip too well. I am considering getting something else. I would like a veil that stays on my head instead of easily falling off when I bend down(my current falls off easily). I have been seeing many people lately with the jacket and flipped back style veil combination. That seems lighter than an entire suit, and easy to take on and off and work in the yard with. Any of you have suggestions, pros or cons, comparing an entire suit/veil to the jacket/veil combo., OR other???? I know it is personal opinion, that's what I would like to hear.:thumbsup: I am trying to think of the entire year and which one will benefit me more. Thanks, juzzer

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Juzzer - I've been using the Jacket/veil combo and in the heat it sweats the devil out of me. As for the effectiveness, yeah it's pretty good, but once it gets soaked with sweat it's hard to get the thing back off without some help. lol.. Myself i'm thinking about just using a tie on veil from here.

·
Registered
37 Posts
juzzerbee
Here in central Arkansas it is hot and humid in the summer,I prefer a jacket and veil I used a Mann Lake economy for a while but just bought a ventilated that is the way to go!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
The full cotton/poly serves well in all situations, so it came first for me. The self supporting veils are fabulous. It is still a bit warm at times, and longer leg zippers would be nice for me.

A year or two later the nylon jacket added a very pleasant alternative for "quick check, light-med duty", with the full in the standby/fallback. With the zipper up, it can be thrown on like a windbreaker.

Both are great.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Where I live, it's hot and humid all summer, and of course, I always seem to do inspections during the hottest part of the day. Although I have a jacket, I usually don't wear it. My preferred beekeeping outfit is an oversized old long-sleeve white dress shirt (stolen from my husband) and a veil. The veil I use had a cloth-like hat and string to tie it down.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
We've got both. The jacket/hood combo is ready-to-go, maybe add some white jeans. I found myself wearing mine this weekend with only a t-shirt under it. It is likely that one could be stung thru it with nothing on under it. We use the jackets at our WV apiary.

For around town, we got painter's overalls with a couple of types of inexpensive veils. The painters overalls need a little work to be good bee suits ... a little Velcro here and there to close them up better, or some elastic bands. They seem to be cooler than the jackets, and are relatively cheap at $30. I was stung on the neck thru my pith helmet veil last week. The hood types seem to be more effective at keeping the mesh off your face.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got the Ultra Breeze Jacket with veil. The domed veil gives me room to wear a baseball cap and it moves where I want it move. PLUS you can feel a breeze blowing through it...when there's a breeze. If I'm swapping hive equipment I'll wear a full bee jumpsuit (the first one I purchased), otherwise I just wear shorts.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I like my little weight cheapo smock pull over other then yesterday when things got just right and got popped twice on the arm . I have a full suit but have never put it on . I let my helpers wear it .
My plan is a light weight / breeze type jacket with zipper hood . In the future . But tell the I like the smock .
My helper yesterday in the full suit .

Me in the smock

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Invest not in a suit but in calm bees, I recommend. :) I do not own a suit, just a veil that I can fold in a pocket. Don't know how that is properly named in English. Pocket veil, or something. It is easy to breed for nice gentle bees that stay nice even when knocking and rocking the hive. So look for a breeder with nice bees. Get a smoker, too.

·
Registered
156 Posts
tulle veil, a long sleeve white under armour tee shirt, BDU shorts, and flip flops. I do have a Mann Lake ventilated jacket, but am cooler in the UA tee. I keep a tyvek jumpsuit in my truck, but havent' used it since first time I wore the shorts/tee combo. With the flip flops, you have to watch out for bees crawling on the ground. A sting between the toes is about as bad as one to the nose. Normally as soon as I feel one on my leg/foot, I stomp that foot, that normally shakes them off.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I am allergic to bee venom, and found that out after two trips to the Emergency Room in one week. I now use a Mann Lake ventilated suit and have a second one for backup. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I would quit beekeeping if I had to wear a full suit. I hate coveralls. I only wear a ventilated jacket with veil. I tie a cord around the bottom of my pants legs to keep bees out of where they shouldn't be.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
We bought the Pollinator jackets from Mann lake. They are made of heavy material and we were too hot. Barry had mentioned the Bug Baffler jackets in a thread on suits. We bought one and I have been using it this year and like it. We also have an ultra breeze jacket which is nice too.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts