Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ivermectin in the news

It sounds counterintuitive, but apparently it seems to be the case: A pill is more effective than lotions at getting rid of resistant head lice. That's the finding of a study that compared the common malathion-based treatment lotion against Stromectal -- a pill containing ivermectin, an antiparasitic drug made by Merck (MRK).

The study, published in The New England Journal of Medicine, was sponsored by Johnson & Johnson MSD Consumer Pharmaceuticals, a European joint venture of Merck and Johnson & Johnson (JNJ).

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a607069.html

Now, I wonder how long it will take for some one to try and feed the pill to bees for nite control!

Ernie

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Lice are insects, mites are arachnids. You shouldn't use an insecticide when an acaricide is called for. But I'm sure someone will try it.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Lice are insects, mites are arachnids. You shouldn't use an insecticide when an acaricide is called for. But I'm sure someone will try it.
Are you sure about that?
How many body parts does a louse have?
Louse

Photo by:
J.A.L. Cooke/Oxford Scientific FilmsLouse, common name for several species of small, wingless insects. Three types of true, or sucking, lice infest humans: the crab louse, a broad, grayish-white insect, about 0.3 cm (about 0.13 in) long, usually found in the hairs of the pubic region; and two slender, gray lice, also about 0.3 cm long: the body louse, usually found in clothing, and the head louse, found in the hairs of the head. The eggs, or nits, are attached to the hair or deposited in the seams of clothing. These species subsist on the blood of humans; the body louse is a vector in the transmission of several diseases. True lice infecting domestic animals include the hog louse, the horse louse, two species of cattle lice, and the dog louse.
The biting lice, or bird lice, are insects differing from the true lice in that they possess biting (rather than sucking) mouthparts. They feed on the feathers and skin of birds and occasionally on the skin of other animals. The chicken louse is a species about 0.3 cm (about 0.13 in) long, common on domestic fowl. There are also several species that are parasitic on turkeys and pigeons.

The name louse is also applied to several other small insects, such as the plant lice, bark lice, and book lice. The wood louse (also known as sowbug), a crustacean, is so called because of its superficial resemblance to lice.

Ernie

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Good picture on the Wikipedia page. Definitely an insect.

I involuntarily scratched my head when I heard the report on NPR and when I saw the wiki page. Funny that.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I just got done with my spring cattle work on my small herd two days ago... I got enough pour-on on myself and both dogs that none of us have to worry for awhile.:)
Mark, if you need a little help just let me know and I'll ship you some good stuff... :D

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Kinda like working with varroacide in early spring and not using gloves. You may get ticks on you but they die after they have been sucking on you. No need to put 5 drops on the back of my neck. I always wear gloves now.:doh:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Sure, they think Ivermectin kills everything under the sun and it does do a pretty good job, until we abuse it like everything else and we get resistance. Worms in horses are already starting to show resistance.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I'm guessing someone, some where, has already tried ivermectin against mites.

Most acaricides are also pretty good insecticides, and most insecticides are similarly pretty good acaricides. Fluvalinate is a fine insecticide. Coumaphos works well as an insecticide. Permethtrin works pretty well against arachnids.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts