Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know who coined the term "Beek" ? I am curious to how it came about. I had not heard of it untill I joined this forum. Is it a contraction, or hybridization of other words? I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I think I know what it means, and can use it in a sentence, hope I can even call my self one...no initiation ritual to go through is there? At any rate, I like it..just wondered where it came from.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Bee Keeper- "Beek" from latin apis-bee: A Human who invests large sums of currency to keep a small box of insects hoping for a small "liquid" return on investment. "Beeks" largely suffer from stress, anxiety, and debt, offset by short lived successes like spring build up, successfully mated queen bees, and dead beetles. :D

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
i thought the intiation consisted of a good stinging. at least that is what...i gotta go see somebody :(

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
There is a three-phase initiation ritual:
1. Remorse, over spending much more money than you had thought necessary or planned.
2. Pain, from getting stung, somethings in sensitive areas like around the eyes. Or unreachable areas, like between the shoulder blades on a hot August day when your shirt clings to your back due to the sweat.
3. Grief, when you lose a hive for whatever reason.

Please be aware, there is an annual renewal, generally focusing on #2 above. As you mature in the Fellowship of Beeks, generally speaking #1 does not recur. However, depending upon your personal sensitivity and skill level, #3 might. #2 is considered to be "Annual Dues" in order to remain part of the Fellowship of Beeks. :lpf:
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Requirement to be a Beek:
  1. Thick wallet or good credit
  2. Thick skin (literally and figurtively)
  3. Dogmatic (will not give up - see rule 1)
  4. Love of bees (see rule 1 and 2)
  5. Endure painful losses because of stupidity and nature (see rule 1,2 & 3)
  6. Willingness to learn from your mistake(s) (See 1 and 5)

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Does anyone know who coined the term "Beek" ? I am curious to how it came about. I had not heard of it untill I joined this forum. Is it a contraction, or hybridization of other words? I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I think I know what it means, and can use it in a sentence, hope I can even call my self one...no initiation ritual to go through is there? At any rate, I like it..just wondered where it came from.
Why yes...this is a silly question. But...prob a symptom of the texting wld where ppl r trying 2 cut down on the # of words they 1/2 2 type.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts