Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the first hive has released the queen, hopefully she is still with them!

I removed three frames 10 - 8 and banded the queen to the third, put the hive cover on, placed a empty frame on top with a jar feeder and tiny piece of patty (doesn't look like it's been touched) and put the top on. Periodically checked the feeders and I just checked for the queen release today. They have built comb on the bottom side of the cover where my empty frame space was, didn't realize it till I saw no comb on the other frames! I thought what the heck? Luckily (I hope) I had placed the top over the empty frame which preserved the comb which was full of busy bees. I hate to think what may have happened to the queen. Both hives are busy and they are bringing in pollen, orange, yellow.... So with my second hive I removed the feeder to the outside and I am pretty positive they have done the same thing on the second hive. I didn't check for queen release...had to take a breather as the first hive was a little annoyed that I had disturbed them. I had not used the smoker yet. Just my veil and gloves.

Suppose I had better get my knife and rubber bands ready for the comb and attach it to foundation less frame. Sound right? Gonna need a couple more hands. Good thing a beek is just around the corner, hopefully.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds much easier than what I thought.....I just need to be sure the queen isn't within the comb. At least the queen cage is empty on my second hive too, just checked. Anyway they have about three or so sections on the ceiling area of the inner cover. :s and of course none on the frames with foundation.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In case my contact isn't able to assist me tomorrow with removing the comb on the interior ceiling of my inner cover.....I am worrying and mulling this over and over. Thinking out loud if believe I would have the smoker going, give a waft, have a box or use the outer cover and set the inner cover on it's back side or side? Slice the entire comb from the ceiling where it is attached, then place each section with rubber and to empty frame?

I think it would be impossible to shake these bees from the comb they have established. The second hive was creating a bee like chain downward. They are super busy. And there are many on this comb. Seems much calmer to look at them on a properly drawn frame. Not sure I could swiftly brush the away either as many as there are.

I have even thought to put them in their own box and fill the other out with the other 3 frames.
But I risk loosing the queen. Darn it.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
And put the top of their hive (inner cover) just above the top of the frames you want them to draw. They start work at their perceived top of the cavity.
Walt

·
Registered
213 Posts
I think this has happened to everyone that forgot to put a frame in, it has for me anyway. One time it happened in a nuc atatched to inner cover and I just left it alone. When I opened the hive I would just turn it upside down and lay it down and inspect the hive and put it back when I was done, then they made swarm cells on it, Pretty cool, I was able to cut them out and use them. Your plan sounds good, brush the bees off , cut it out and rubber band it in a frame......Pete....N3SKI

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
yes this whole scenario sounds so familiar to me. lol.. Probably since it happened just a few weeks back to me. I hived 10 packages, got to #10 and forgot to put two frames in due to the ladies being a little HOT. Needless to say when i went in and retrieved the queen cage i got surprised. Lucky for me it was all being used as syrup storage and the queen was elsewhere in the hive. I just cut it off after getting the bees off of it, and replaced the frames. Left the syrup comb out and let the bees remove their stores from it. All fine now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My trustee neighbor beek helped me immensely today; there is absolutely no way I could have taken care of this on my own. Lucky for us the Queen made an appearance too.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>I think it would be impossible to shake these bees from the comb they have established.

It's quite easy to shake bees from any comb. The harder thing is not damaging the comb while you to it... and in your case it does help to have another hand while tying combs into frames. At least that's what it looks like... I don't know because I never had anyone to help me...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! I am so relieved now, didn't sleep a wink last night . I have now witnessed a large number of bees evacuating the hive due to smoke. Bee brush was not recommended. Amazing how fragile and useful new comb is.

·
Registered
66 Posts
bee picture 2014.jpg I know your pain and shared in the sleepless night check out what the girls did with space from a baggie feeder i had in place.

Good luck and have fun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts