Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working this summer in the oil fields of north dakota and decided to start some nucs to overwinter while out here. I had made friends with a
commercial beek who sold me some brood and on june 17, 10 nucs were
made up with 2 frames of brood, a frame of drawn comb, a frame of foundation, a one gallon frame feeder, and a Kona queen,,,,,,,
I added another box to these at 2 weeks and now at 30 days as a new nuc I will be splitting another nuc off as the first 10 are boiling over with bees and about half have the upper box filled with honey...WOHOO!!! Unbelievable what a good year makes, especilly after the worst winter I can remember :) And now for the bad news....lol....I have to buy a trailer before fall to haul all the nucs home because my truck isn't big enough..
I had to make a order to ML for more nucs-frames-foundation-and extracting supplies...lolol:applause: These kind of problem I like...
The sweet clover is everywhere, everywhere, everywhere....I hardly dare to believe they are doing this well but I have to plan on it to be ready to overwinter 20 extra nucs,,,,
I'm sold on the nucs for making new starts. The expansion rate is amazing, although I know this is an exceptional year....:thumbsup:

==McBee7==

·
Registered
12,062 Posts
Nice work.

It's true. Properly set up and healthy nucs, made at the right time of year, just explode & do very well.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks OldTimer,,,I have been very lucky this year.....
When I did the inspection this week, I was lifting off the upper box and thought I had'nt split the boxes and was lifting both boxes, but then realized I indeed had just the top box and it was filled with honey :) It was dripppping honey because they had bridged the boxes and I had broken some cells and it was dripping out...I sampled some through my veil:)...

==McBee7==

·
Registered
813 Posts
Congrats on your success. Nucs are great for starting hives and so many other things. I believe nucs are also great for drawing out new comb. For some reason, perhaps because the bees are forced into a smaller area, that being five frames vrs ten/eight, they seem to draw comb quicker. I've had great luck just moving a frame with some eggs in along with some bees/brood/larva/honey and letting them raise their own queens. I do this rather than simple splits. When I'm using the nuc to build out comb I put a second nuc box on top for a two box hive. Again, for some reason they seem to build out comb better. I also move frames in with swarm cells to get the nuc started a few days earlier when raising a queen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts