Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still have full snow cover here in the woods of ohio, but it is going to hit 40 today and the sun is out, little wind. Going to check on the bee reserves. I did put my ear to all 5 hives yesterday and can tell all 5 have made it with me so far (This si my first winter as a beek). One hive is significantly lighter than the others, so assume it is running low on food. Today going to give them a bit of dry sugar in the mountian camp style.

But also I was thinking of putting on my hive top liquid feeder as opposed to the dry suger. I know it is a bit early and cold, but later this week the high will hit 50. I figure if it is too cold they just won't use the liquid, but it will be warm enough for them to get at it a bit. With the liquid I can give them some essential oils in some 1:1 which I think would be better feed than dry sugar.

That seem okay - or you guys suggest sticking with the dry this early?

Today is the only day I can work the bees as will be out of town.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Maybe a 2:1 mixture syrup on the light weight hive. Try just a little bit of 2:1. The others can wait a week or two. Yesterday I had 50 degrees and they where out and about and must say that they cleaned out all the carcasses on the bottom board too. About 100-200 bodies over the entire winter is normal.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Actualy figured today to try my hand at making some candy board. And give them a few lbs of that. IN a week or two I'll break out the feeders, and want to give them all some pollen pads

The candy board is now out in baking pans now cooling, but learned something in the process: "Don't add peppermint oil to your candy board. "

In my candy board recepie, you wait until the mixture cools to 125d, give it a good stir then poor it in to pans. At this step I thought it might be cool enough for the oil, but I was wrong. The oil still vaperized, my house now smells like a giant candy cane.

humor

1 - 3 of 3 Posts