Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the high desert. This weekend we had 100* days and will get hotter. My hives are in the morning sun, late morning to afternoon shade and after 1pm full sun until dusk. The bees are bearding quite a bit covering the whole front of the hive and hanging a couple of inches off the landing board.
My concern is having proper ventilation. I'm worried about a meltdown.
I am using two deep brood boxes with an entrance reducer on the lower entrance. There is a queen excluder on top of the brood chamber then 3/8" spacers to create an upper entrance then a super, inner cover and telescoping lid (Jerry Hayes Point of view set up).
I was thinking of using a ventilated inner cover (aka moving screen) in place of the masonite one and then another 3/8" spacer in between the telescoping cover. I think this will allow the hot air to escape out through the highest part of the hive. I believe the ventilated inner cover would maintain the proper bee space and prevent burr comb building in the space.
My question is regarding too much light, since the bees typically do not like too much light would that be a problem? Any answers, opinions or further questions are eagerly invited.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
A screened bottom board will help or remove the entrance reducer so they can get some airflow. It is possible to fashion a cover that excludes light but allows airflow. L.L. Langstroth had such a hive 150 years ago. There are some drawings in "The Hive and the Honey Bee" that will help.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I am no where near as hot as you, but I run all screened BB, and screened Inners, with standard tele's. haven't had any problem with them, bees are always setting on top of the top frames when I lift the lid.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts