Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just had the coldest May on record. Seems to be worse every year! Wonder how the bees will do this year, got another week of stormy weather ahead. Jeez I better move south!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Manbearpig will kill us all, and your little bees too!

I would consider this May to be "normal" here, especially after last year, when we had frost at the end of May. If the solar cycle ever really starts back on an upward curve, it will get warmer.

Last year I was glad I was on a tropical island for most of the summer, wouldn't have been worth it to plant a garden here after the late blight killed the tomatoes and taters.

·
Registered
706 Posts
well this past may has stunk for bee keeping rain rain rain rain and more rain. wettest and coldest may on recored. By may 6th temps should have been in the 70's its been too wet and cols to open my hives so heaven only know whats going on in them. a November storm in may of winds of 75 mph in may last week. and one today ugh any were were else in the USA they would call it a Hurricain and give it a name. Global warming my bees butts. More like Global cooling.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Yeah, definately the wettest, coldest May I've experienced too. The bees could only fly one day a week average. I've had to spend so much money on feed I'm going to be in the poor house the rest of the year.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It's been one of the hottest, driest months of May that I can remember. We've had more hot days in May than we've had in the entire summer last year....and it's not even summer yet!

·
Registered
118 Posts
If the solar cycle ever really starts back on an upward curve, it will get warmer.
I have not heard too many people make a comment like yours but you are right on. I have been a solar cycle believer for a couple years now. It looks like solar cycle 24 is going to be weak compaired to recent solar maximums. I feel that cold winters will become more frequent. Or maybe I should say the winters will get close to being normal again.
Here is a good site for anyone interested.
http://www.solarcycle24.com/

·
Registered
70 Posts
We just had the coldest May on record. Seems to be worse every year! Wonder how the bees will do this year, got another week of stormy weather ahead. Jeez I better move south!!
Or move north up here to Ontario. We've already had two mini heatwaves, tons of sun and above average temps. Hit over the nineties for several days last week. Blooms appear to be coming early - this is our dearth and yet I saw blueweed already starting to pop up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts