Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow we have set 4 days of record lowes. Its kinda crazy cold here. Our low temps are normally what the highs have been. I'm worried it will hurt the maple bloom that we depend on the build up bees quick in Febuary. But the high did creap up to 50 today. Our schools are talking abou closing if it rains this week. Really crazy for us....

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Is cold down here in central FL too. Supposed to be down in the 20's tonight.

·
Registered
261 Posts
our Fall flow was not as good as in previous years. I found myself trying to play catch by feeding in December this year. I lost one hive due to starvation which was a bummer since that is usually preventable if one stays up on their hives in our area. Its rare we have this many days in a row that the girls have to stay clustered together without flight. Hopefully the syrup I put out last month is within their grasp right now.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I am probably the happiest go lucky guy you will ever meet, but this forecast gives me the blues. The 10 day doesn’t show one day above 50!! I was really hoping to put on patties and start feed this weekend. But the way it looks I won’t be out of my cold weather fetal possession for another 2 weeks.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hambone...get ready. We have an arctic blast coming tomorrow. That means you'll be getting it after it rolls over us. The high projected to be only in the low 30's on thursday. Then on friday, the highs here are only going to hit low 20's. I'm going to hole up and make pollen sub patties.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
You fellows have short sleeve shirt weather, 22 deg. here today -2 tonight and the forcast for thurs. and friday is daytime 17 deg. and nights -10. On top of that we have 6 inches of snow on the ground and more coming.:eek: Jack

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
More cold up here too. But so far, it looks like a little chillier than average, but not by much. Some cold air coming in this weekend though

I took a gamble with my bees as I have quite a few of the hives on SBB. Most posts are saying that it shouldn't be an issue if adequate ventilation exists. We'll just see. They best not be wrong, as I just might look into rustling bees or setting up swarm traps right next to their beeyards.;)

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Good grief! It must be colder than what I thought. When I looked into my hives today, I saw some bees with long johns on and others were wearing flannel pajamas and slippers. I think I saw a Smoker Jacket or two.;)

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
It is that global warming thing I tell ya!! :lpf: We are suppose to break records this week as well. First a record breaking blizzard and now Friday night it is suppose to get down to zero.....burrr. Hang in there ladies!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
We said the same thing last night..."I thought we were having a global warming issue?!" I do, unfortunately, have one hive struggling. Actually, snow would be great....more insulation for the hives!

·
Registered
41 Posts
We had a 42 degree warm up from 2 nights ago for a high of 12 above today. Felt great. Sweat shirt weather. The dog didn't even mind having to go out to do his business.
Nuke

·
Registered
41 Posts
You get acclimated to it after a bit. I actually prefer it to when we lived in So IL and it was 40 with rain all winter long. That damp cold gets down into ya.
Nuke

·
Registered
508 Posts
Whatever happened to the ozone issue. That was the big media scary thing in the 80's and 90's. Is the hole patched, did we never really have a hole, is the ozone really there? Sure looks like these scientists drum up a lot of attention to get paid in my opinion. I'll hang on to my faith that the Lord is in control not scientists and politicians, takes less faith to believe in the Lord. :)

And just so my thread won't get deleted because it's not talking about bee's, I will mention my bees. My bees are cold too.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hope these record cold temps will help kill some of the SHB. But those little pest will get in the cluster and stay warm. My hats off to you beekeepers in the North. We are only experincing 2% of what you have for months. I was still cutting grass here Christmas. Accourding to the weather man it was cold like this ten years ago. Last year was so mild I dint think we ever turned our heat on.

"" One important question and I ask because it has never been a problem""
I only have front entrance feeders, never needed a top feeder. Should I place an empty hive body on top and place the feeder about the cluster? I have inner covers to help keep them warm. Just asking, they will probley be fine I just cant rememeber dealing with this much cold in the past.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts