Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there I am, minding my own business, mowing the lawn like any good homeowner does (or masochist seeing as though the heat index was 105).
Giving the girls a wide berth seeing as though they don't particularly care much for landscape maintenance around their yard. Suddenly out of the corner of my eye I detect a flash of wings. Hmmmmm, maybe a tiny moth or any one of a number flying thingys that inhabit this part of the world. (If not for the noise of the mower I would have instantly recognized the offender.) Then again a close brush and my mind rose to the terrifying truth, INCOMING!!!!!!!!!!:ws
Dropping the mower I semi-calmly proceeded to traverse the 50 yards to the back door thinking the girl would tire of the chase. NO CHANCE SUCKA! 5 feet from the door she made her move. I'M HIT! Instinctively (because of previous training) I scraped the point of impact removing the vile poisoned dart I had been so greviously impaled with, proceeded inside to my safe harbor, took a benedryl and rubbed some calagel on my wound. (Wonderful stuff by the way for bites or stings).
A bit later I recounted this story to my wife in an e-mail and in her particularly wifely way she retorted " Don't you always tell me the girls are hot and cranky and to give them a lot of room.":no: to which I replied, " But honey I was 30 feet away from them".:cry:
And then it struck me.:doh:
A few days before I had been peacefully sitting 3 feet from the hive (something they'll let me do when I'm not wielding lawn equipment screaming at 100 decibels) watching their flight patterns trying ( in vain ) to determine where they're getting the boatloads of pollen they bring in every morning. Very interesting. 3 or 4 to the north, one to the east , 3 or 4 to the north, one to the east again and again and again. Suddenly in a brilliant flash of rare clarity it came clear to me. Of the 3 times these girls have stung me the last two have occurred directly in their eastern flight path. (We won't talk about the first time when I had had a Gin and Tonic, was not wearing protection and got just a wee bit too intimate, an err the male flesh is given too.)
Ahhhhhhh bees.
You live and you learn.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have one hive that hates the weed wacker. It is kind of funny watching them trying to sting the spark plug wire. That is until they just about empty the hive on it....and me.:eek:

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Yeah and as soon as you figured out that they came from the eastern fly path, the next sting will come from the west, north, or south. You cant out-guess them. They are bees and they will sting. Be careful out there!

I mow within 3 feet of my hive without a problem. A couple of week ago, I was quietly pulling weeds 10 feet behind the hive entrance and got naild big time. Go figure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Let me tell another story on GB. About 3 weeks ago, hotter than the hubs of H*ll outside and of course being a Sat. Afternoon with all our running around and errands complete he and I were sitting back in the "conditioned air" inside with a G & T and GB decides to go look at his "girls". I happen to look up and out the window about the time the "girls" decided they had had enough of him fiddling with them. He was in shorts, no shirt, flip flops and a hat and they erupted on him. Now we are in our late 50's so we have learned not to move too quickly in the heat but all of a sudden GB is goose stepping across the yard faster than I have ever seen him move and then all of a sudden he grabs his cap and starts flapping it around him and beating the air and himself - defensive move on his part. But one of the warrior girls got him good. I was LMAOROFL at this show while safely ensconced in the house.

The moral of this story - Bees provide great entertainment in more than one way.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Enjoyed both stories...easy to visualize.

BTW, perhaps the gin, tonic, or both are offensive odor(s) to the bees... :scratch:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts