Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's just too hot! Above 95 every day....... As much as I enjoy beekeeping, there's not a bug I'm willing to have heatstroke over! If it doesn't get done in the am or pm...……..

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
It's just too hot! Above 95 every day....... As much as I enjoy beekeeping, there's not a bug I'm willing to have heatstroke over! If it doesn't get done in the am or pm...……..
Some shade could help.
Beach umbrella.

·
Registered
135 Posts
This is why all the gardeners always do morning work also.

The heat isn't very fun, I agree.

But since you brought it up, what time & temperature of the days is best from the bees point of view to open up the hive also? (And get them the least angry?)

·
Registered
36 Posts
The heat is killing me too. I saw a vest that holds ice packs for working in the heat. I ordered one. I’ll let you know if it helps.

·
Vendor
5,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The heat isn't very fun, I agree.
But since you brought it up, what time & temperature of the days is best from the bees point of view to open up the hive also? (And get them the least angry?)
I usually (when the temps are agreeable)…… like to start around 10am as a number of bees have left the hive. As to least angry …. the bees temperament (I've found) is determined by nectar flows or lack thereof.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I try to finish before 6 pm or so most days. I am not a morning person so I have no morning experience. As it gets later in the evening more of the forgers are back in the hive and the forgers tend to be more aggressive/defensive so working the hive when they are gone is easier. NEVER work a hive after dark, the bees are very grumpy when they get disturbed during the night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts