Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have a four week old colony, our first hive, of Italians which upon inspection this evening had created at least three supercedure cells. No sign of the queen after thorough inspection, though things were hectic (note: we have not seen her since installation) ). Capped and uncapped brood and larvae are visible but no new eggs found in the new comb.

Everything tells me we should requeen ASAP. Looking for recommendations of reputable queen suppliers with storng stock. Thank you.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hi,

I have another question that I would very much appreciate an answer for.
I am raising a few queen cells in a nuc and also have 2 hives with very lazy queens. What are the chances that a queen will be raised (and will mate) if I moved a frame with queen cells close to hatching to each one of these two hives? If it is possible to do, how long before should one remove the existing (lazy) queens so that the hive will accept the queen new cells?

Thanks a lot

Jorge

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi,

I have another question that I would very much appreciate an answer for.
I am raising a few queen cells in a nuc and also have 2 hives with very lazy queens. What are the chances that a queen will be raised (and will mate) if I moved a frame with queen cells close to hatching to each one of these two hives? If it is possible to do, how long before should one remove the existing (lazy) queens so that the hive will accept the queen new cells?

Thanks a lot

Jorge
Once they are capped you should be able to swap them in.

I heard that an emerging virgin queen will over a mated queen every time. The virgin queen gets rid of the lazy queen.... you win.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts