Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to re-queen two of my hives that swarmed and did not successfully raise new queens. They are carniolans and swarmed despite my best efforts at preventing that from happening.
Just wondering if I can re-queen those two hives with Italian queens?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
YES - you can requeen the hive with Italian Queens, however, the Carni genetics will be gone for good, as well you will want to put the queen in the hive in her cage for two days prior to ever opening up the sugar candy cork. When switching from one breed to another sometimes it takes a bit longer for the old breed to accept the new queen due to diff in pharamones. Also, make sure you don't have laying workers at present prior to introduction as the laying workers can and will kill a new queen. If you have other hives around, take an empty frame from your queenless hives, insert into the good hive, and allow queen to lay it up, then move it back. Will keep the laying workers at bay

·
Registered
825 Posts
Had to help my Mother re-queen in MA last summer...Carni hive went queenless...bought an Italian queen, and they LOVED her! That hive over-wintered, and is doing beautifully! (Kicking some butt, in fact!) Just don't wait so long that laying workers kick in...that is a nightmare! Put the queen in cage on the landing board and watch their behavior...you can easily tell if they are excited to have her magesty!! Fanning...butts up...excited but calm in the same motion...As long as all looks good, put her in the hive in the cage and let them release her. The genetics will be different in the future, but Italians are easy to work, too.

Excuse me...I got it backwards...her hives were Italian, and we requeened with Carni....They still loved her, and have been very successful! Bottom line...the genetics seem more relevant to us, than to the bees... I don't think the bees care a darn.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts