Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in my beekeeping days it was either the Italian or Caucasian honeybee.

Today it seems to be Italian or Carniolan.

What are some of the pros and cons of each? I thought I read that the Camiolan strain trends to swarm more, so with that in mind I suspect more concern would have to be taken in looking for queen cells.

Which honeybee strain would you prefer?

Does one strain withstand colder climates than the other?

Back in the 60s/70s I don't really remember any preference in those strains for my yards, but ...

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>What are some of the pros and cons of each? I thought I read that the Camiolan strain trends to swarm more, so with that in mind I suspect more concern would have to be taken in looking for queen cells.

I think you'll find the Carniolans similar to the Caucasians except a lot less propolis.

>Which honeybee strain would you prefer?

Carniolans.

>Does one strain withstand colder climates than the other?

Both can do fine, but the Carniolans are more frugal and not as foolish at starting brood rearing. The result is they starve less and get stuck on brood less. But they also go into winter in smaller clusters and larger might help...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Living in Michigan, I've had better luck with the Carniolans as far as over wintering. So far, I'm 4 out 5 alive this year. That's ahead of the curve in Michigan.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have both but I prefer the Carniolans because they can go through winter in only one box. Italians require more food and I had to feed them excessive amounts of dry sugar in winter.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I think people who want honey run Carniolans and those who like to pollinate crops like Italians. However with that said I know quite a few guys with Carnis that send them to Almond pollination.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I live in Georgia and Italians are very popular here, they can make a lot of honey. If I lived as far north as you I think I would try carniolans, in colder winters they have the reputation of having the abilty to handle the cold temps better. I would like to try some carnis one day if I could find some local. Like you said everything I have read say they do like to swarm in the spring though.

·
Premium Member
2,488 Posts
Back in my beekeeping days it was either the Italian or Caucasian honeybee.

Today it seems to be Italian or Carniolan.

What are some of the pros and cons of each? I thought I read that the Camiolan strain trends to swarm more, so with that in mind I suspect more concern would have to be taken in looking for queen cells.

Which honeybee strain would you prefer?

Does one strain withstand colder climates than the other?

Back in the 60s/70s I don't really remember any preference in those strains for my yards, but ...
I think Buckfast are the way to go for your environment…JMHO

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
In Michigan, I would go with the Carniolans. As mentioned, they are much more frugal with their stores and seem to adjust their brood rearing more in sych with the northern climate.

They do have a reputation of being swarmy, but I think most of that trait can be attributed to the fact that they can very rapidly explode in population in the Spring during build up. If the beekeeper is not paying attention they will swarm on you. Just be aware of that characteristic and be extra attentive during spring build up.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I do really like the carniolans, but if italians can thrive in Canada, they should do fine anywhere in the States as well. Just depends on where you get them. Italians from California or NZ might not do great in the northern states, but then again, I wouldn't expect carniolans from those places to fare all that much better either.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts