Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope that I am allowed to write @$#%&! on this site. I posted my observations earler about hiving two packages. Hive #1 had a plethora of bees in and around it. Hive #2 had the same number inside, but almost none outside. I hived both on Friday, 7 April, and it just got worse. I watched them both about 15 minutes this afternoon and nary a one came or went from Hive #2. I broke the rule and opened it up. Some bees around the top feeder, and a few around the queen, still in her cage. I figured that I had to do something, so I pulled out the bottom cork to set her free in the hive. Well, I paid R. Weaver extra for marking and clipping. I apparently received only the former as she immediately flew off in a huff. So, is the hive toast or will she come back? Looks like almost all of the package went to Hive #1. Advice, please.

Ron

[ April 09, 2006, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: RonS ]

·
Registered
125 Posts
Next time stay perfectly still because she will orient herself around where you are standing and sometimes she will even land on you. She may find her way back to the hive. You should check in a few days and see if you see her. If not you need to take some eggs from the hive with the queen and give them to the queenless hive and they will make another queen. You could also try to order another queen.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
>So, is the hive toast or will she come back? Looks like almost all of the package went to Hive #1. Advice, please.

The best thing you could have done was stand still for the next ten minutes so she can find her way back. You're a landmark and because of height and proximity, the one she's most likely to orient on. If you leave the box open and stand there for ten mintues odds are she did find her way back. If not, she still might or she might now.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
Interesting on the orientation. Sorry if you lost the queen.

How many bees still with #2??

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I'd put in a frame of eggs if you have them. As far as the queen, 50-50 chance she'll come back.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sundance,

Not many. Almost all of them moved over to Hive #1. Makes for a might strong hive with a 6 pounds of bees. No eggs as I just hived the packages Friday. So it goes. I was not expecting this problem and it caught me completely by surprise. Guess this is the first of many. I am not so upset now, but just frustrated.

Ron

·
Registered
6,965 Posts
*snip* from another thread RonS said:
Mine arrived today with almost no dead bees and very large, mobile queens. Maybe part of your problem was the supplier, not just the shipping. I wish you luck.

and then in this thread RonS adds:
Well, I paid R. Weaver extra for marking and clipping. I apparently received only the former as she immediately flew off in a huff. So, is the hive toast or will she come back?

tecumseh thinks out loud and ask:
hum, sounds like somebody gots some 'splin to do. is the remaining queen marked and clipped? so RonS just how developed was this queen and when you say mobile just what kind of behavior does that imply?

at the very least it appears to me that you should expect one replacement package. but then tecumseh is old school.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I would watch the hive to see if she returned or not, if she did Great, if she didn't then I would combine the hives and wait a month or so and split the hive (if you want 2 hives then), just make sure you have eggs, capped brood and pollin in both hives if you cant find the queen when you split....

[ April 10, 2006, 07:38 AM: Message edited by: TwT ]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts