Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two hives from stories posted last year. Base line I have one LA Baton Rogue queen and one Navasota Beeweaver queen that was installed in a split last August 1.

Both are busy with the warm weather but the BR queen and bees are going stronger.

I took a look at both. Both hives had a bad case of pms and looked as bad as they did with the weedeater sounds last summer. They were trying to sting everything.

What I saw was the top out side frame was not filled out but the other frames were solid with honey with the 4th and 5th frames with eggs, larva and lots of capped brood and honey on the top and sides almost no pollen stored. This was true for both with the exception there was more brood on the LA queen frames. I stopped after looking at the 6th frame which was the same. I stopped and closed up both hives.

With all the capped honey and with all stages of larva to capped brood should I have checked the bottom deep? It was suggested that it might have been empty and I should have checked it too. Upper pattern looked like a summer pattern where the brood flares out from the bottom middle of the frames.

Lots of bees, capped honey, and brood. Would you go back in or wait a few more weeks? Our spring starts up about mid March though the bees are steady bringing in pollen from the neighborhood. Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
I have two hives from stories posted last year. Base line I have one LA Baton Rogue queen and one Navasota Beeweaver queen that was installed in a split last August 1.

Both are busy with the warm weather but the BR queen and bees are going stronger.

I took a look at both. Both hives had a bad case of pms and looked as bad as they did with the weedeater sounds last summer. They were trying to sting everything.
you mite want to attempt to do something about the pms. I have heard that is not a good sign.

·
Registered
405 Posts
If your bees are suffering from PMS then you need to get back in there NOW and do something about it. Either several rounds of OAV or some apivar or maqs or some sort of mite treatment. You owe it if not to your bees to your neighbors bees (they're out there even if you don't know where) who will rob out your hives soon as they start dying from mite levels creating a much dreaded MITE BOMB.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Reads like two different types of PMS:lpf:
With very little to forage the ladies are not going to be happy with you poking around without a lot of smoke. I did the same thing today and they were not a good mood, three stings through my holes in my gloves. New pollen coming in since the last cold front and they are eating sugerblocks and some 2:1 sugar mixture like crazy.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
With all the capped honey and with all stages of larva to capped brood should I have checked the bottom deep? Lots of bees, capped honey, and brood. Would you go back in or wait a few more weeks?
It couldn't have hurt to check then, but it sounds like you still have time before (mid March), and swarm prep. Is that typical "swarm time" in your area? I would definitely check the next time I am there, or give the entire hive a "lift" to see what you are working with:) Although you will need to look in that bottom box eventually:eek:

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
yes go in and see if the boxes need to be reversed. If the first box is as full as the first you need to do something else.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts