Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok in a hive today, doing some spliting and just some general going through the hives. Pulled out a frame and found a beauty of a big black queen :)
pushed her into the bottom box, so now I know where the queen is. 2 frames later is a big beauty of orange/red colour queen. :scratch:
First time I have seen 2 queens in 1 hive both looked like they where laying, tons of brood.
Any thoughts?:s
thanks
apism

·
Registered
201 Posts
All I can say is You lucky dog. I am very new to this and am questioning the properties of my one queen....

Two beauties doing a great job? wow. Nice of them to be different colors so you can easily identify whom is whom! :D

·
Registered
692 Posts
If you are worried one of the queens will eventually kill the other, you could use one for a split and not have to wait for the bees to raise one. Otherwise, it would be awesome to have bees that would tolerate two queens, twice the brood!

Richard

·
Registered
519 Posts
Time for a split!

What breed does the black queen normally come from? I had one, but she promptly got superceded.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Black queen is typically associated with Carniolan blood lines these days, although it was a common trait in many Italian queens years ago.

-----

Multiple laying queens aren't uncommon in supercedure. If there was enough of a problem that the bees found need to replace her, let nature take it's course. Attempting to split the hive is probably going to leave you with one hive in need of a queen shortly.

·
Registered
575 Posts
As much as I'd be tempted to split, the girls may be waiting to see if her majesty's successor it up to the job before making her go the way of Marie Antoinette.

I'd leave them run their hive.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It is my understanding that as many as 25% of the hives may have 2 laying queens. I have been told that they co-exist because they missed running into each other for the first 2 weeks of their life and after that, their abdoman can not bend enough to kill each other. So they just go about their business laying eggs and it is a good thing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the hive next to it had a queen, that was the first place I looked:)
I will leave them alone and see who comes out on top.
I am hoping that the black one wins as I love my black bees. The other blacks that I have are extra gentle and produce tons more honey and draw wax like no one else.
just my views
apism

1 - 11 of 11 Posts