Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went in one of my hives a few days ago and simply put, no queen apparently. Had noticed frames with eggs and capped brood during last week's entry which prompted the latter entry.

During that time, I did notice quite a bit of uncapped cells here and there, sporadically placed with dead, white pupae in those cells. The remainder of the capped brood across the frame looked fairly normal, not 'picture perfect' healthy but somewhat normal. I just likened it to not having a varied caste of bees that I had lost to an earlier swarm and so there was not enough bees to take care of the ventilation, feeding, foraging jobs.

My plan -- build the numbers up, offer them a frame of brood from another hive.

I provided that hive with a frame of capped brood from one of the healthy hives. That frame had varied ages of 'glistening' larvae, eggs and capped brood and shouted health.

Almost a week after providing that new frame of healthy brood, I entered that hive to discover that frame was going south as well. There was still some larvae in the bottom of cells that looked healthy and gleaming white. However, about 10% of the capped brood on both sides had missing caps revealing a dead, appeared to be, dried out pupae in their later stages of life.

I have no strange odor in any of my hives, have the tops propped to allow ventilation, no chalk brood on screened bottom boards or in front of the hive, noticed only one small hive beetle and no varroa mites.

This is a first.. I am wondering, if it is just simply getting too hot inside the hive because the caste of bees was never repaired since the swarm, therefore there simply are not enough bees to provide air conditioning for the hive. Simply may not be enough bees for all the labors, I am thnking. ? I am attempting to work up the numbers before I count it loss, I just cannot get there. :s

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Yes, maybe not enough bees. might be even worse if it's gotten hot. There needs to be enough bees to take care of the brood they have.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts