Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be more of a rant than anything, but it has been bugging me since I started 4 years ago. When I use the classic L shaped hive tool for scraping the box, the short part of the "L" digs into my wrist. Either the L is bent the wrong way or the bevel is on the wrong side. Just me?
I usually use a J hive tool, but sometimes want the L. I know I can use the short part and pull instead of push, but is there any reason why they make it the wrong way? J

·
Registered
Two 8-frame Langstroth hives
214 Posts
I only have the J-type and find it does everything I need. I’m a minimalist and prefer not having too many options so that suits me.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Is it left handed instead of right handed?

Can you fix it with an angle grinder? I also use J types and they work well

·
Premium Member
Mutts.
148 Posts
Not suggesting you buy from them... Amazon seems to have both left and right handed versions. I say seems, because months ago when I was shopping for one I noticed at least one that had pictures of both in the same description. Guessing this is due to them swiping pictures from another vendor without paying attention.

As elmer-fud suggests you could shorten one by a 1/2" and put the bevel on the opposite side and turn a right hand to a left.

·
Registered
825 Posts
If your L shaped hive tool has a bevel on the long end,you have most likely purchased an imported piece of crap.There should not be a bevel like a wood chisel.It should taper on both sides down to a point like a putty knife.Too sharp and it will catch the wood grain or gouge your box edges when prying apart boxes.
As far as I'm concerned,there is no such thing as a left or right handled hive tool.

·
Registered
5,645 Posts
The l shaped hive tools I have were purchased 40 years ago, they are fine, so I have no idea what people are talking about.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine has a bevel on one side, not on both like Jack's. Came with the beginners hive package. Guess that explains it. When I am looking for something to do, I will grind down the other side. Or toss it in the metal recycling bin. J

·
Registered
75 Posts
the short part of the "L" digs into my wrist.
Me, J-hook at the hives, mainly specifically for non comb damaging frame pulling. And yeah, there, a fair amount of using the blade for wax/propolis removal.
But back home going through bee-lees hives and removing wax/propolis and sprucing up frames, the 90 degree (long handled good scraping) hive hive tool is my go to tool. This is the very same tool glaziers use as a pry-bar. Go to google images and type in "glazier's tool", with or without quotes. Don't know who used them first, glaziers, or beekeepers, nor what purpose they were initially invented. But as a "pulling" wax "scraper", they work well, and fit the general design nature of paint "scrapers". Good hold ability, with beveled edge for the "scrape".

Use the appropriate tool for the job. And remember, to pound nails, never hold a hammer by the head.

I cannot understand the tool digging into the wrist. On my 90 degree tool, the "blade" end is the same on both sides, (just a long thin taper from front edge to tool thickness). When I'm holding this tool by the short/bent end, that short bend is held facing away in my hand, while I'm pushing the blade between wood and the wax. But I totally appreciate the "scrape" function build into this tool, holding it from the blade end.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a J hive tool that I use exclusively working the hives. The L handle is a spare that came with the beginner's kit that I soon replaced with the J tool.
I do use the L tool to scrape hives, mainly using the short end for the top and bottom edges. However, for scraping the sides, I use the long end and grasp the end with the L bend. In order for the flat side of the bevel to be against the wood, the tool must be held with the bend facing up against your wrist. If you have the bend away from your wrist, you dig into the wood like using a chisel, at least on mine.
I have done my fair share of home building,woodworking, cabinet making. I am pretty sure the tool I have is either bent or beveled wrong. J

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
This may be more of a rant than anything, but it has been bugging me since I started 4 years ago. When I use the classic L shaped hive tool for scraping the box, the short part of the "L" digs into my wrist. Either the L is bent the wrong way or the bevel is on the wrong side. Just me?
I usually use a J hive tool, but sometimes want the L. I know I can use the short part and pull instead of push, but is there any reason why they make it the wrong way? J
You know, I noticed the same thing this year scraping frames; I don’t know why I haven’t noticed it before. It must be Covid. ;) (Truth, I did just notice that this year)

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I got this hive tool last spring and I haven't even bothered my other hive tools since. I added another one to the family Christmas gift suggestion lift.

The taper is just right for separating boxes without digging into the wood, it easily removes propolis, plus it has the j-hook and IMO, the angle makes a better fulcrum. There are some replies on that thread about bending because it's imported, but I have really laid into and it has not bent yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts