Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!! I was wondering if any of you live in Penn Valley or surrounding areas, and if so what are you currently seeing/doing with your hives. The weather has been pretty warm, bees are extremely active, tons of pollen coming in. I opened up the hive today and it is packed with bees and they barealy went through any of their stores of honey.

Is anyone adding supers? don’t want to have them get too excited and thinking there isn’t enough room in there and work towards swarming.

I’d like to split the hive this year but is it too early?

This will be my first year keeping the bees around through winter, so want to absorb as much as I can from all of you that have been hanging with the bees for some time.

·
Registered
127 Posts
You are at the mercy of the weather gods. Where is the pollen coming from?
How many good foraging days do you usually get a year?

My bees flew for the first time yesterday, since before Christmas.
No pollen, just poop and orientation.

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
Sorry, but yes it is to early to split. I wait until the middle to end of March myself, sometimes in April depending on the weather. There won't be any or many drones around yet. Almond pollination won't start until mid February through mid March. By the end of that, there may be more drones about.

It's still early, weather can change. Over-nights are going to get cooler for almost a week starting tomorrow night, according to today's forecast. We some years get freezing or frost well into February.

Have you checked completely through the hive? What's that bottom box look like as far as brood and/or stores?

·
Registered
Right now,one hive consisting of two 10 frame deeps of an Ohio swarm of muttsutts.
188 Posts
If you want winter. I'd be happy to send you the 10 inches of global warming I have piled in front of my door this morning.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want winter. I'd be happy to send you the 10 inches of global warming I have piled in front of my door this morning.:)
Haha, no thank you. Just trying to figure out the right move with the hive. First year having them through through the winter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry, but yes it is to early to split. I wait until the middle to end of March myself, sometimes in April depending on the weather. There won't be any or many drones around yet. Almond pollination won't start until mid February through mid March. By the end of that, there may be more drones about.

It's still early, weather can change. Over-nights are going to get cooler for almost a week starting tomorrow night, according to today's forecast. We some years get freezing or frost well into February.

Have you checked completely through the hive? What's that bottom box look like as far as brood and/or stores?

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate all the help I can get, especially from anyone in my area. This is my first year keeping them through winter. I have not got into the bottom box. I will take a look tomorrow and see what they have going on in there. Do you suggest waiting to add a super since its still pretty cold, and probably not much nectar out there?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are at the mercy of the weather gods. Where is the pollen coming from?
How many good foraging days do you usually get a year?

My bees flew for the first time yesterday, since before Christmas.
No pollen, just poop and orientation.
Well, to be honest I don't know where the pollen is coming from. But there was a lot of it. They have slowed down on bringing it in, so I'm assuming they were just restocking supplies. I'm really new to keeping bees. We started our first in 2020, but lost them in the fall. The Nuc we got last year has made it and seems to be really strong. That being said, I was a lot more pro active with mite treatments, and just keeping an eye on them over all. Now I'm just trying to learn the seasons with them, and what to look for, as well as when to make the right move when it comes to adding, splitting, and feeding.

·
Registered
6,959 Posts
I do not think you'll be needing to add a super yet. I'm betting that bottom box is mostly empty, maybe with some brood in it but no or few stores. I think they still have room. Too much space above the brood cluster in cooler weather is not a good thing. I can't see anything needing to be done until the middle or end of February at the earliest. But, I'm not there seeing what you see, so I could always be wrong. Keep in mind the winter bees will be starting to die off as the brooding of the hive is just starting to increase some. It's too early still for them to be swarming, population is not actually growing yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts