Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I think most operations have gone to just gassing the bees when they make up nucs.....

The point of the smoke is to confuse the bees to a point that they don't fight each other when they come to.

·
Premium Member
3,533 Posts
Well the person is driveing the bees down through and excluder so as not to put a queen in a mateing nuc.
Most of us here on this forum are hobby type keepers and are not used to treating bees this rough but the person in the vedio is in a hurry because time is money.

·
Registered
160 Posts
You can see all the bees crawling out of the box. Theres so much smoke the guy can't see the bees getting out.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Yes that is right. He is driving the bees down into the bottom box not smoking them to calm them. As a commercial beek I see nothing wrong with what he is doing except I wouldn't have my head in the cloud of smoke( he must have been trying an experiment after reading the cannabis thread:D). The water is to keep them from flying so he can measure them( with the scoop). I would have been moving faster.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Looks like he is working mean bees or africanized.
Clint
I don't see why you would assume so. They were just very active bees. Either there was a flow on or he had a number of colonies torn apart at the same time. I'm sure that in a yard of strong hives the number of bees in the air while shaking bees for nucs is about right.

I did have to wonder what was going on when the beekeeper was smoking the bees so much, and I didn't see an excluder, but I'll take someones word for it. I'm glad that someone w/ more experience in this area than I could explain what was going on.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
After contacting juhaniluden I found that after shaking a strong hive the bees were smoked thru a queen excluder attached to the top box into the bottom box, dampen the bees with water and measured into mini-mating nucs by a student of his.
Clint

·
Registered
97 Posts
. As a commercial beek I see nothing wrong with what he is doing except I wouldn't have my head in the cloud of smoke( he must have been trying an experiment after reading the cannabis thread:D).
Hey, wait a minute, isn't that the guy who posted the thread about CANNABIS?!!!:D

·
Registered
97 Posts
I did have to wonder what was going on when the beekeeper was smoking the bees so much, and I didn't see an excluder, but I'll take someones word for it. I'm glad that someone w/ more experience in this area than I could explain what was going on.
If you look at the top box he set aside, you can see the excluder.

·
Registered
703 Posts
When i was shaking bees from my hives, I would head out the day or two before and shake the bees out of the top box into the bottom while keeping an eye out for the queen. It is not neccessary to find the queen but if your lucky, you will find her on one of the first couple of frames you take out. Once the queen is in the lower super wether by shaking all the bees out of the top super or by actually seeing her and putting her down there, I put an excluder in the bottom and the top supers making sure that most of the open brood is in the upper box. It took me 5 hours to prep 100 hives like that.

Going back the next day or two, all the proper aged bees are up stairs and queen free and fairly drone free, just simply shake the bees into the bulk bee boxs.

The fella in the video looked like he was making mini nucs, I would still use the method above if I had any number of them to make. The smoke seemed a little extreme but more so was the liquid (I assumed it was syrup) that he poured on them from the watering can. we use a sprayer for this since it a lot easier on the bees. also grabing bees by the handfull like that especially after the liquid treatment must make and aweful mess. might as well grab a ladel for a scoop, and call it bee stew.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts