Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure how to include the shot but I have it on Picasa.
http://picasaweb.google.com/edn3boys/BeeSwarm#5464106719305213778

Anyway, there's a thin rope of bees starting at the top of the bottom deep. They're hanging outside the deep and are strung down to the entrance. There's a small clod of bees at the bottom of the rope but, I can't see a queen in there.
I'm afraid this may be the start of a swarm.

I haven't inspected for a couple weeks. Not since I added the medium on top of two pretty full deeps 2 weeks ago.

I have a 9-frame deep right next to this hive and can probably scoop them right into it.

Suggestions?
Thanks,
Ed.

·
Registered
760 Posts
it could be but i dont think so ..... when they swarm .... they fly out and take to the air -

i would be checking that super though.... if they are not drawning into it or filling it - they most likely will swarm from being honey bound

if i were you id crack er open and have a peak

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just went in and it was prolly a good thing.
Looks like my girls can draw out ad fill 10 medium frames with honey in exactly 2 weeks.
A quick inspection because of the poor conditions, just pulled on end frame, and it looks like they haven't capped much of it yet.
I added another medium super to give them some more room and me some more time.

I think I'll wait till they draw the next ten frames before swapping frames between the two supers and excluding.

Does anyone think I should swap frames between deeps too?

Thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts