Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I noticed this afternoon a lot of my bees gathering around the watering station I have set up about 20 feet from my 2 Warre hives. I have never seen them do this before, and they don't seem to be there to get water. Is this a swarm? I am a brand new beekeeper so I have no sort of experience with this. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,562 Posts
Not a swarm. Maybe something on the bucket they like?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not a swarm. Maybe something on the bucket they like?
Thanks for they reply! The only thing I could think of that it could be is some lemongrass oil, since i put that in the water every time i refill it. However i've been doing that for a couple weeks now and this is the first time i've seen them do this.

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,562 Posts
Bingo, I think you got some on the outside of the bucket. Now that the bees know where the waterer is, you do not need to add an attractant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good to know, I was under the impression that I should always add it. I would assume then that this is something that will pretty much sort itself out? My only concern is that I noticed a lot of them were staying there even overnight, and although it isn't getting to frigid temperatures where I live (Salt Lake City), it is still somewhat cold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts