Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard lots of old-time beeks say they leave their traps in old houses (window sills, for example) and catch swarms w/o issues. I've been told by others they've had swarms move in under their trucks, within barrels, etc. I think the conventional wisdom is in a tree, X-# feet above the ground, and so-forth.

That said ..... I'd like the convenience of putting a trap inside a big tool shed in my back yard. The door's not secure against its sills and would pretty easily be accessed by bees, if they were interested. So ... would it be worth the try to situate the trap in the shed?

I just put 1 trap in a persimmon tree (my best "swarm tree), another on a stand in my backyard (4' above ground) and I'll put another in a stand about 6-7' above ground.

Thx much for any feedback ....

Mitch

·
Registered
173 Posts
You would be better off by securing the trap to the out side of the building than inside. I have an old abandoned house that I have 2 traps secured to the outside of it. The traps are about 5 feet apart Over the last 2 years I have caught 5 swarms from the location. As for height of traps mine are all set at around 40 inches off the ground.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts