Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 hives.

Hive 1 had the package installed on Monday and the queen appeared fine.

Hive 2 also was installed Monday, but the queen was dead so a new queen was installed on Tuesday.

Yesterday I saw some diffrences in the hives.

Around 5 pm: Hive 1 had bees flying in and out. Hive 2 seemed pretty quiet.

Right before dark I went to check their sugar water. Hive 1 had only 2 bees in the upper box with the feeder (no frames of course). Hive 2 had a ton of bees in the upper hive box, well over 100.

I didn't open the hives themselves up because it was pretty windy, when I check them today what should I look for, and is this something I sould be concerned about...

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
It's hard to say without seeing what's acually in the hives. The one that just got a queen may be quiet because they are getting organized now that they have a queen. It's also possible they drifted to the one that had a queen when they didn't. Not a lot you can do right now but let them get settled and then check to see how they sorted it out.

·
Registered
170 Posts
The only thing I would check for at this time is to determine if the new queens have been released from their cages. That's it. Try not to disturb them for a couple of weeks. You can read a great deal just from watching the landing board. If they are active and you see an amount of pollen coming in that is comparable to your other hives (if you have others) you know they are doing fine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts