Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking to see if this scenario is ok. The behavior kinda caught me off guard and I want to make sure I’m doing right by my bees.
Picked up and installed healthy 5 frame nuc on 5/30. Had entrance reducer on and fed 1:1 syrup from boardman. I tried to minimize exposure of boardman to outside world. I did first hive inspection on 6/6 (1 week later). All looked well. 7.5 frames drawn out. Queen laying. Lots of brood, hobey, etc. I decided since it all looked good I would add second brood box so I wouldn’t disturb them. I also removed entrance reducer. I came to check Monday after noon 6/7 and there was a ton of traffic at hive entrance. I have no other hives and I don’t know of anyone within at least a mile with a hive. I just want to see if anyone thinks this is normal or if it’s a robbery in progress or if they are still stirred up from Sunday inspection. Also it got very hot and humid here in north eastern Ohio. Also the boardman ran out a few days ago and I haven’t filled it. Please let me know any thoughts. I also have video too if that helps.
1DA1ADB8-EDEF-4784-ABC8-AECE8C2B79E5.jpeg

·
Registered
614 Posts
Very normal-don't you hang out on the front porch on nice days? Not sure where you are but start thinking about loosing the entrance reducer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very true about porch! It just seems odd that after I added the second box the traffic out front exploded over night. I had the reducer off from Sunday afternoon till this this evening. I just put it back on cause I freaked out I was being robbed. I’m in LaGrange Ohio. The weather turned really hot and humid last 3 days or so. Maybe that’s cause for them flying around out front and loitering on the landing board.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I would think that if its really hot where you are and your ready for a second box, it's definitely time to remove the reducer. What your seeing is the transition of nurse bees to foragers (in simple terms) as the hive expands to more frame, more room for the queen to lay and more brood. Keep the girls working. You should be in a spring flow, use it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! If the reducer comes out it would seem they are strong enough. Does that mean I can stop the syrup feedings? I just worry about the boardmans attracting unsavory characters around my hive.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,393 Posts
Very true about porch! It just seems odd that after I added the second box the traffic out front exploded over night. I had the reducer off from Sunday afternoon till this this evening. I just put it back on cause I freaked out I was being robbed. I’m in LaGrange Ohio. The weather turned really hot and humid last 3 days or so. Maybe that’s cause for them flying around out front and loitering on the landing board.
did the traffic stay busy, or did it die back down after half an hour?

My hives tend to have a lot of activity for about 30 minutes each day when the new(er) bees are orienting to the hive.

I think you are probally ok with the reducer at that size right now. until they fill 2 boxes I would leave the reducer in place to make it easier for them to defend the hive

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
They appear to be fanning at the entrance in order to control the temp/humidity in the hive. If it gets worse you could shim the telescoping cover about a 1/16" to see if this helps them, but as of now I don't think it is a problem.
I have to do this down here as we get very hot and humid, also.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
That's not a huge number of bees to be outside anyway. Looks normal, and as AHudd says most are fanning. I wouldn't worry. Maybe put some shade on the hot days and open it up a little.

·
Registered
614 Posts
A good place to use the removed entrance reducer in the summer is between the inner cover and outer cover-up front with the 3" side open. It acts as a vent and upper entrance that a growing hive can defend. Then when winter comes you'll know where it is!

·
Registered
2 (10 frame) langstroth hives (first year)
3 Posts
A good place to use the removed entrance reducer in the summer is between the inner cover and outer cover-up front with the 3" side open. It acts as a vent and upper entrance that a growing hive can defend. Then when winter comes you'll know where it is!
That's a neat idea, thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good tips and tricks everyone, thanks and much appreciated. They seemed to have calmed down and its business as usual. I think between the heat/humidity and the additional box, removal of the reducer, and the inspection they had to readjust for a bit. Too many changes too fast. Thanks for all your time!

·
Registered
An assortment of mediums, deeps and now a Long Langstroth Horizontal Hive
5 Posts
Removing the entrance reducer (as stated by many above) makes perfect sense now that the heat and humidity of the summer has settled in. If you are still worried about robbing and wish to continue feeding your bees I would suggest removing the front feeder. Add another box on top and put in a top feeder. I learned from another beekeeper many years ago that if you count 10 plus bees a minute bringing in pollen your hive is more than likely running well. It shows the pollen flow is still going on and that the queen is doing well. That nugget of information has worked well for me since I learned it. Just a suggestion. Good luck and that's a very nice setup you have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I removed about half of the reducer and I haven’t been feeding lately anyway so I’ll just remove that till later in the year if they haven’t built up enough for winter. I’m putting mite strips in this weekend so I’ll see how they have been getting on with their second box and no supplemental sugar water. They have been so many pollen laden bees coming in I can’t count. Probably 1 every 3 to 5 seconds. Bright orange almost red pollen. Like a darker hunter orange color. It’s so bright.

·
Registered
614 Posts
If you have 7-1/2 frames built out and a flow is on, there is no need for (any part of) a reducer. Let the hive grow.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Also, as a side note, move some brood frames from the existing brood box into the new brood box and place the empty frames in the existing box. It will make the bees draw out your new brood box much faster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts