Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed the last couple pf days a few bees running around the landing board flapping their wings but can't fly. They eventually fall to the ground and die. They have also been carrying out a few dead bees. The abdomens of the effected ones are curled under pointing down.

Thanks

Bee-1-1.jpg Bee-2-2.jpg

·
Registered
160 Posts
IIRC, you can lost up to 30% of your bees every 4-6 weeks just due to their life cycle. I mean, the girls literally work themselves to death.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dakota, I figured and was hoping that's what it is. They have been working hard.
IIRC, you can lost up to 30% of your bees every 4-6 weeks just due to their life cycle. I mean, the girls literally work themselves to death.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Michael, They are smaller and fuzzy. The original package was all this type of bee. As the new queens brood have hatched they are larger and darker. Some have a black tip on the abdomen. I am not seeing as much of it but still some, even the darker bigger bees.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,094 Posts
I can't see them so well in the picture, but look carefully at their wings and see if they are normal or crumpled or "K" winged (the two wings on one side separated instead of attached together as a unit).

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Could be mites, feeding on the pupae and doing enough damage to distort the bee as it develops. I saw one bee like that at my big hive, haven't seen any since. A mite count could be in order, although if the hive seems to be doing well it's not critical to do it now.

Peter

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The hive is booming. Orientation flights have lots and lots of bees. Very busy bringing in pollen. I will do at count and see what I find.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts