Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started two hives last spring. Both produced quite a bit of honey for a first year. I left them each two deeps full of honey and a medium each half full of honey. I just went through each hive and found the following:

Hive 1 - A lot of dead bees, many with their heads in cells (starved to death is my assumption). The hive is light on honey. There are still a lot of bees in the hive and they are very active. I could not locate any brood, which really concerns me. I don't know what option I would have at this time. I hope I don't lose the hive.

Hive 2 - some dead bees, many with heads in cells. The hive has a little more honey that the other, but still quite light on honey. There are a lot of bees. I did find some brood, but not a lot.

I have started to feed both hives. Any suggestions on how to ensure they both survive?

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
You said they still have honey. What will feeding benefit? If they already have food? Bees go in the cells in winter to keep the cluster warm. If it is still cold the queen will not lay or the brood will die if the cluster cannot keep the brood in the 90s.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bees are carniolas. The bees are in Utah. Our winter is usually quite cold and long. We recently had a real cold period after some rather warm weather. The bees are out in the open.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts