Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took this picture this weekend of my girls hauling in the pollen. I was guessing it was crepe myrtle pollen since that is the only thing blooming here in great numbers. But someone else posted that goldenrod pollen is a bright orange color.

I haven't noticed any goldenrod blooming yet here in Tidewater Virginia. The patch in my yard is starting to form flower buds but is a long way from opening. Haven't noticed anything along the edges of the fields either, but others further north say their goldenrod is blooming early this year.

What do you all think?

IMG_2898.jpg

·
Registered
516 Posts
Don't know but my girls are binging it in also, although they have been bringing in bright orange pollen off and on most of the year.

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
Can't say, but it doesn't look like crepe myrtle pollen. I was trapping pollen and the crepe is not nearly as uniform. I've seen the early season GR blooming on my road for over a week, so you may be right.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I didn't know bees got anything from crepe myrtle. We have lots of it here and it's been blooming for a month but I have yet to ever see a bee on any of the blooms.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can't say, but it doesn't look like crepe myrtle pollen. I was trapping pollen and the crepe is not nearly as uniform. I've seen the early season GR blooming on my road for over a week, so you may be right.
Astrobee, did you ever get some dark brown or almost black pollen? Had some coming in around the first part of July and never could figure out what it was. I'm hoping to retrofit one of my top bar hives next year to hold the small pollen collector I bought this year.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Black pollen around here is from black eyed susans.

The bright orange pumpkin colored pollen is not GR. Golden rod pollen is less orange more yellow.

What i've done in the past is watch whatever they are working and see what color the pollen is in their bags. Big fields are the best to do this.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Mine are hauling in pollen colored that exact shade. I have no idea what it could be...I don't see the bees working anything.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Black pollen around here is from black eyed susans.

The bright orange pumpkin colored pollen is not GR. Golden rod pollen is less orange more yellow.

What i've done in the past is watch whatever they are working and see what color the pollen is in their bags. Big fields are the best to do this.
Interesting, I always thought that orange was goldenrod. Thats the majority of whats coming in here. G

·
Registered
156 Posts
I found some old posts that said it could be aster pollen.

I was shocked to see goldenrod blooming in our front meadow already, but I haven't seen any bees on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I live in northern Virginia and there is goldenrod blooming here for the past 7-9 days. The color is a nice bright yellow with maybe a hint of orange. The pollen in your picture is likely not the goldenrod but I see the same color being hauled in here as well.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Been seeing the same pollen in my area for a few weeks.
I was thinking it was Rose of Sharon, which has been blooming in my area with force. Just a guess.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Been seeing the same pollen in my area for a few weeks.
I was thinking it was Rose of Sharon, which has been blooming in my area with force. Just a guess.
Rose of Sharon is blooming here as well. Pollen is snow white. More bumbles than honeybees. Bumbles run em off. G

1 - 14 of 14 Posts