Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have 2 hives like this with with 2 mediums. I plan on doing a walk away split. The mediums were not what I wanted to do but over the winter they moved up into the mediums and out of the deep. Both medium supers on both hives look like this but was wondering since they were not deep frames, which means less bees, would I still have plenty to do the split?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like enough bees, but is it enough brood, pollen, nectar and honey? And are you planning to feed or is there a honey flow on?
I believe the flow is just starting. I am seeing a lot of pollen and nectar. At least 3 frames each are brood in each medium. I could feed though if I need to.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just a tip. If you had done a reverse of the boxes and put the Deep back on top the first of March (Weather permitting) they would have moved back up into the deep. I did here in noth Middle TN. and have capped brood in both top and bottom and the bottom are currently hatching out.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just a tip. If you had done a reverse of the boxes and put the Deep back on top the first of March (Weather permitting) they would have moved back up into the deep. I did here in noth Middle TN. and have capped brood in both top and bottom and the bottom are currently hatching out.
I currently have the deeps on top now but just did that a couple of days ago. I am just so nervous that they will swarm and then I will lose them. In the process of putting up swarm traps this week in hopes to catch them if they do take flight. I'm not seeing queen cells yet though.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What would happen if I moved a frame of brood and eggs up into the deep that is on top of the mediums? I'm assuming they would make a mess with a med frame in a deep but would that encourage them to do something in the deep and maybe not think about swarming? If so I would be content on not splitting just yet.

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you move 2 frames up into the deep. The bees will draw cone on the bottom of the Medium frames. This would encourage them to move up. They will move up on their own if you give them a little time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you move 2 frames up into the deep. The bees will draw cone on the bottom of the Medium frames. This would encourage them to move up. They will move up on their own if you give them a little time.
As far as them building comb on the bottoms of the frames, that's fine with me right now as my main concern is stopping them from swarming. That is my main priority. I just know the time of year is getting right for the swarm and feel I waited too long on the switching the deep to the top.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
If the frames in the deeps you just put on top were empty, the bees will move up as the colony grows. If they weren't all empty, you might alternate empty with full frames (honey and pollen) to encourage their best use of space.
Generally space above, reduces swarming inclinations. but you have to stay ahead of them.
Regards,
Steven

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The deep frames are empty. I don't have to do a split right now but given the time of year for swarming I want to do what's best to get them to move in the deeps and not swarm, whatever that might be. I know there is no guarantee of them not swarming even after doing everything right. Just wanting to increase my chances of stopping a swarm, and maybe getting a little honey, and getting them strong up in the deeps. I guess I want my pie and eat it too. LOL

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I moved 2 frames up, should I keep them together or put an empty frame of comb between them?

·
Registered
33 Posts
You are right to worry about the med frames in the deep box. I have that exact problem now. I, like you, put a deep box above the messy box (which has brood). I took a quick peek yesterday. They are moving up. Not sure if the queen has moved up yet but since there was not a complete band of honey above the brood I think she will. I have heard that the queen will not cross a band of caped honey. Our flow has started so I hope I will be adding a med super within a week or two. It's my plan to leave the messy box until the end of the season then remove it all together......

curt

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I would rather deal with the mess later in the year as long as I could assure that the bees wouldn't swarm and get them to populate the deeps so I could do splits later.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I have put med frames in a deep box separated by a deep on each side. And they just draw the med frame down even with the other deeps. It did not make a mess.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts