Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,130 Posts
Well that's why my own belief is that looks matter. Because when I have a bee that looks to me like a pure carni, they will also have those behavior traits. If they are light and look pure Italian, they will have those behavior traits. That is why I think looks matter.

But mutts, they are a crap shoot could be any sort of behavior you don't know.

Finding queens :) The hardest ones for me are the stripey ones, they can just blend right in. If I got black queens in a black hive I usually put a white dot on them, makes them pop right out among the crowd. But Stripey ones, the bees will be a blend also, even with a dot they can be hard to find :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Well that's why my own belief is that looks matter
The looks usually match the behavior - agreed.
It is just up here, we have such a melting pot going - hard to say.

Then these people sell clearly mutts and call them "Carni" - adds to the confusion (just as this thread demonstrates).

It is one reason I am really tickled to try the wing analysis on the bees that I capture - to kinda/sorta have some idea of what I have. If the exterior is a good-enough indicator of the make up, then the wing analysis should also be a good-enough indicator (really, the wings are part of the exterior).

Will see how the winter goes but it is the time to do stuff like that (no time in season).

·
Registered
240 colonies
182 Posts
I hear too that a lot of people say it doesn't matter what color the bees are. But I guess to me it really does, I really like the look and behavior of the Carniolan so I am always selecting from my darkest and best queens.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have googled this but don't come up with any sources.

Is it possible to determine the race of a queen by her physical attributes or behaviors? This is not a quiz, but does the queen in the photo look like an Italian or Carniolan? I ordered a Carniolan, but I "think" I got an Italian. The attendants are her offspring.

Kevin View attachment 61175
Possitive its an Italian, I love Italians, laying machines :)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts