Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/trottet1/media/bee%20pics/beehivetrbl_zps021b06ac.jpg.html?filters[user]=139377509&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=1

can someone please take a peek at the above (sorry, I don't know how to make it come through as a clickable link) I had a patty melt incident and it has been determined that it is from a moisture problem. I went out today and manipulated the entrance reducer to the larger opening and added pop sticks between outer and inner covers for better ventilation. before putting entrance reducer back in, I took a plan ol door shim and scraped as far in as I could and this is what came out. lots of dead bees and all the goo from the patty situation.

Also , in this pic. there is some greenish colored dots and smears on the outside of the hive. there is and equal amount on the back of the hive. could this be dysentery or is it the melted patty slop being carried out by the bees. It is the same color as the patty. last piece of info. I looked through the inner cover hole and see bees clustered on the sugar that I put up there for them a month ago. Not sure if that is good, bad, or neither. Any thoughts on any part of my situation would be great. Thank you.
todd

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
>looks ok from the pictures. the entrance reducer looks pretty soggy, I'm glad you added some ventilation.
>no harm in scraping off the bottom board today, less to do for the bees, and for you later on in the spring.
>normal to get poop smears this time of year. I've never fed a green patty so I can't help with the color but it sounds like they were eating it. I feed a dark tan patty and the poop is tan if that helps. When they poop inside the hive start to worry.
>My bees are mostly at the top also. they have plenty of stores left by the weight of the hive when I heft it a bit. They are mostly using the top entrance as well, only 20% or so using the bottom.
>Keep an eye on the weight of the hives this month, they use a lot of feed to brood up. They shouldn't run out of feed or it will effect spring build up. Get in the habit of hefting the back of the hive every time you visit them and you'll get good at judging the weight.
Looks OK to me.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks clyde. I remember you teaching me the ol heft test and I do it often. The only thing I have to judge it by is the weight of a brand new hive assembled in garage. I think it will be easier when I get more hives this spring. Next year I Will be able to compare to one another. Thanks again.
Todd

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have way more dead bees than that and my hives are still alive so far. I always scrape them out too, I think all those dead bees contribute to moisture problems, but that is my own unproven theory. More ventilation is better than less.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just clicked on my own pic link. You guys are seeing both picks right? I just noticed I put them up in wrong order. The second pic shows the handfuls of dead bees on the ground.

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
In my case dead bees are a welcome sign. I thought all my hive were dead and now I see dead bees in the snow that was just last week. So they all could be dead now but I thought they were all dead last month. I don't know what to make of it?

·
Super Moderator
11,148 Posts
Trottet1, the link you provided is to a slideshow, so we can see both pictures by using the slideshow buttons.

When you paste links in the Beesource message compose window, the URL is not active, but when you click the Post button, the forum software takes care of activating the link (under most circumstances).

If you want to display the photos individually inline in your post, look for the "Links to share this photo" box at Photobucket. Copy the one that is called "IMG" and paste it into your Beesource message.

For instance, to display the photo of the bees in the snow, once you have copied and pasted the "IMG" link for that photo into your message, it should look like this:

[URL=http://s1371.photobucket.com/user/trottet1/media/beehivetrouble2_zps3ba2b478.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1371.photobucket.com/albums/ag293/trottet1/beehivetrouble2_zps3ba2b478.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Once you Post the message, the code above will be hidden and the photo should display instead.

If you want to check to see what your post will look like once the links are activated, instead of clicking "Post", click "Preview" instead. If you don't see "Preview", then first click "Go Advanced" and the Preview button should then be visible.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
This was my December die off
View attachment 9325
I have die a pile like yours every time I clean out the bottom board. They are still alive, knock on wood.
I would be somewhat concerned with a pile that large in my parts, perhaps up north the temperature doesn't allow them to fly off the carcasses. My weaker hives tend to drop them at the door step.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I took this after I cleaned out the bottom board. They had been cooped up with low temps and they had mite issues going into fall. It's not good for sure, they did the same thing last year. I am keeping my fingers crossed. They had three seams of bees today.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts