Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if the pic isn't great, I took several and only one had her picture on it:rolleyes:

I was going to inspect it deeper, but just happened to pull a frame out of the upper deep and saw her randomly walking around on foundation. Caught a swarm and now I'm wondering if it was from this hive. I'd like to find the queen in the swarm as she'd be marked, but I don't want to disturb that hive too much yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
75 Posts
Virgin or mated, I cannot tell, but it is definitely a queen. She doesn't look to be as plump as a laying queen, but she might already have gone out on a mating flight. How many days has it been since they swarmed?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Virgin or mated, I cannot tell, but it is definitely a queen. She doesn't look to be as plump as a laying queen, but she might already have gone out on a mating flight. How many days has it been since they swarmed?
I just found the swarm 2 days ago, but I find it hard to believe it was from this hive as it was a fairly large swarm, and I got this nuc only late April (from Betterbee). I'd like to go into the swarm hive and look for the queen, because the nuc hive queen was marked. I don't think my other hive had a marked queen at this point. I also kind of don't want to go into the virgin queen hive or the swarm hive at all at this point so as to not upset things.

I guess I won't know more until I inspect. What's the color for this year?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Sorry, I'm a little confused. At first you said:
Caught a swarm and now I'm wondering if it was from this hive.
but in the next post you said:
I find it hard to believe it was from this hive as it was a fairly large swarm, and I got this nuc only late April
If the queen pictured above is in the nuc purchased in April, and that nuc originally had a marked queen, then it would seem logical to assume the nuc either swarmed or superseded the original queen. If the swarm was too large to have come from this nuc, then it may or may not contain a marked queen.

The color for this year is green.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, I'm a little confused. At first you said: but in the next post you said: If the queen pictured above is in the nuc purchased in April, and that nuc originally had a marked queen, then it would seem logical to assume the nuc either swarmed or superseded the original queen. If the swarm was too large to have come from this nuc, then it may or may not contain a marked queen.

The color for this year is green.
Yeah, it was a confusing post, but you got it right. I saw the swarm two days ago at noon, but didn't see where it came from. They soon landed, so I'm pretty sure it just happened. I just assumed another hive swarmed. Today in the nuc hive I see an unmarked queen that looked small wandering about. So two days after the swarm I saw what might be a virgin queen. That seems quick, no?

The swarm seemed large(ish), and I didn't think the nuc hive could've grown that big in so little time. I put the thing in a 10 frame deep as soon as I got it, then added a 2nd deep a couple of weeks later even though they didn't really need it yet.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Jimbo, how many other hives do you have? Swarms can pick up bees from other nearby hives and become quite large. Watched it happen. You could have had an emerged virgin before the original queen left with the swarm. Leave that hive alone, but I would look for your marked queen while you are giving the swarm a frame of brood to anchor them.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jimbo, how many other hives do you have? Swarms can pick up bees from other nearby hives and become quite large. Watched it happen. You could have had an emerged virgin before the original queen left with the swarm. Leave that hive alone, but I would look for your marked queen while you are giving the swarm a frame of brood to anchor them.
Thanks for the reply. I now have 4 hives. I had one over-wintered that's been split and combined and split and combined again (or maybe more) for the past few years (stupid freaking bear). It was a large hive after winter, so I split it. Then bought a nuc. Now the swarm=4.

I gave the swarm a frame of brood yesterday, and also put on a feeder this morning and an entrance reducer. Looks like they sucked down half of it already. Maybe I should wait a couple of days before inspecting it?

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Does not sound like they plan on leaving if they are sucking down the syrup. Yeah, give it a few days then check. No need to go in too often. Swarms make me a little nervous too with their staying put. Most recent one took me 4 weeks to actually get them into a ten frame after they had been in a swarm trap. First inspection had resulted in a lot of broken comb so I wanted to make sure that was all fixed, and confirm I did not kill the queen when a huge piece of the brood comb fell.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does not sound like they plan on leaving if they are sucking down the syrup. Yeah, give it a few days then check. No need to go in too often. Swarms make me a little nervous too with their staying put. Most recent one took me 4 weeks to actually get them into a ten frame after they had been in a swarm trap. First inspection had resulted in a lot of broken comb so I wanted to make sure that was all fixed, and confirm I did not kill the queen when a huge piece of the brood comb fell.
Yeah, I think I'll check on it Sunday. Probably feed them more as well, hopefully. I'll leave the new queen hive alone for a couple of weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts