Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
20200901_182417.jpg

Hi folks...first year with bees. Is this a sign of overcrowding? We bought a nuc May 1...split the hive in July. This is the original...we have a two deep boxes (one brood, one honey super). Its not a hot day...over cast with a potential for rain. Just don't know why they are hanging outside like this. No fanning bees, or very few (2-3). Opening is plenty wide...no issue with blocking the entrance. Bees are just sitting there.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have this activity all of the time on my hives. I don't really consider it bearding, it appears to be younger bees transitioning to foragers, un-needed inside the hive, but not quite ready to fly. If you watch them, eventually you'll see them do a short looping orientation flight and then maybe head back inside the hive after that. In my case, (we call them porch bees), the seem to be wash boarding (cleaning) the landing boards and possibly act as guard bees for any robbers. I think it's a sign of a health population.

·
Registered
215 Posts
How big is the entrance? Can't see through the bees. If it is very small, they may be queuing up, plus if there are any fanning bees, they disrupt traffic as well. In general however this is not sign of overcrowding, this is insignificant number of bees. If they start clustering under the hive, then it would be more likely space related.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts