Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Hard to say, video was kind of short, didn't seem too receptive to me though or really aggressive, kind of in between.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
when I added a queen to a failed split, 15 or so days queenless, the bees began instantly marching up in hoards, as if their savour has arrived. It is unmistakable, very cool experience the first time. In you're video they arn't doing that to the same extent, but yet again they don't look aggressive.

Is there any brood or eggs, queen cells? Did they swarm?

Here is a link of mike palmer demonstrating. My experience was very similar to this.

http://youtu.be/RX3BgnOkozs

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No eggs or larvae. It was given a frame of open brood last week to buy time. They had queen cells but the weather has been to cold for mating flights. I have to leave town for a month on Sunday. I figure adding a queen gives me a very good chance to get it queen right. If I do nothing it will have a poor chance of survival. Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Took this pic today, honestly, this is less than 10 seconds after putting the cage on the top bars. This nuc had a queencell, I made it yesterday, today when I looked at the cell, it appeared that no larva was in it so I removed it, only to find the larva had kind of burrowed into the jelly, but since I had some queens just come in, I introduced one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts