Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the carniolan bees for my first package but the beekeeper than oversaw me do my install says they aren't carniolans but instead they are Italians. He said something about the queen probably is a carniolan and the bees she came with are Italians (for a fast spring build-up).

I'm luvin these bees and I'm wondering if these are Italians will I see a big difference in bees once the Carniolans emerge? Or are these bees actually carniolans? I was expecting a much darker bee for Carniolan.

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9888/beepic.jpg

·
Registered
760 Posts
close to 105% of the time packagae bees are Italian BUT the queen might be of different breed -

you will have to wait about 90 days until you see your bees change color

if you send a pic of the QUEEN that was sent - then we can see if and what breed she is

but

if the queen is a Carniolan and see bred with italian drones the 50% of her offspring will be italians -

but most breeders have controlled breeding yards

hope this helps explain things

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, yes it helps a lot. I have to do an inspection tomorrow or Sunday (if the weather holds) and I'll try to spot her and take a picture.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Thank you, yes it helps a lot. I have to do an inspection tomorrow or Sunday (if the weather holds) and I'll try to spot her and take a picture.
Michelle, Im almost positive that your bees are Italians! I installed 2 packages this week and mine was italian bees that are so gentle anyone would just love them! From the photo they look just like my bees and mine are Italians! Good Luck!

·
Registered
760 Posts
also try to goggle image carniolans and itilians and russians and other bee breeds

try to find as many picture as you can to relate your eyes to what you will see in your hives

again with bee genetics you have a hard time getting all one color of worker because one queen will mate 20 times thats 20 DIFFERENT sperm - that means that there is a 1/20 chance that you will get a differnt color/type of bee on every egg she lays

dont want to get too deep with genetics on ya but thats the surface of how bees are mated and sent to you

but check out pictures of queens - if nothing else you will know that you are 1/20 going to have a bee of your liking !!!!!!!

the other 19 might sting the crap outta ya (just kidding)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm almost sad now that I ordered Carniolans because these ones are such a joy (maybe I should hold that thought until hive inspection. LOL!)

Me and my 3 yr old sat about 2 feet from the hive today and watched them take off and land for about 15 minutes. They didn't care we were there. When I check on sugar syrup levels they don't seem to mind. Not sure how inspections go since I've feared angry bees with the cloudy, rainy days we've been having.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Michelle, Im almost positive that your bees are Italians! I installed 2 packages this week and mine was italian bees that are so gentle anyone would just love them! From the photo they look just like my bees and mine are Italians! Good Luck!

sadly these nice kind bees MIGHT and i say might .... they might change thier minds once they have brood to protect

also once the queens gentics take over you have new minds

the bees that are in the packages are an artifical swarm - meaning they are semi happy since they are on vaction -- but like us all ...... its back to the grind stone in a few weeks

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I'm nervous :s

I'm anxious to do this inspection. Not sure how it is going to go since it will be the first. Hoping to get through it without a scratch **crossing fingers, toes and whatever else.

I just googled the carniolan queen and the italian queen. We definitely have a carniolan queen.

·
Registered
760 Posts
3 layers of clothing ????

and a suit ?????

my god - they are honeybees not Hornents !!!!!!

in a few months you will be shedding clothes faster then 2 teenagers on prom night!!!

it gets hot in the suit - sometimes its a chore to go work bees -

but you will be fine -

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3 layers of clothing ????

and a suit ?????

my god - they are honeybees not Hornents !!!!!!

in a few months you will be shedding clothes faster then 2 teenagers on prom night!!!

it gets hot in the suit - sometimes its a chore to go work bees -

but you will be fine -
ROFL!!! Well at least I can still laugh right. That is, until I get stung tomorrow. LOL! Thanks for all the info! :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
well that good that you got the queens that you wanted

its really nice to have picture for the viewing

but bees do change over time - i have a few itailians that have brown -tan thorax's -- usually they are black -

darn recesive genes !!!!!

anyhow - glad it is solved

take care

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Pixie just becareful having your 3 yr old around the hive, i know its exciting and educational but you never know when they will get defensive! I read a few articles right here on the news site. They do change their attitudes and then some stay gentle but it only takes one time! Good luck!!!

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
They do change their attitudes ...
That's a great point. Even extremely gentle bees can get testy if they are being annoyed by outside influences. Changes in weather, skunks, and seasonal nectar drought can cause them to be more defensive than usual.

Relax, take your time, and enjoy your inspection. A few puffs of smoke and they will be fine.

By the way, the Carniolans are know to be gentle bees too. ;)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Pixie, Just take your time,move carefully and enjoy.I do my inspections in a vail/tee shirt and jeans. the only time I get stung is when I don't pay attention to my hands and mash a bee . I have yet to be stung above my wrist mostly on my fingers. The ladies will get alittle more outspoken when the have brood and food to protect but nomaly not to bad. Last week I did a cut out in my back yard( i got a colony from a man that had bees move into a plywood box in his back yard two years ago and he just left them alone and let them do their thing, then decided to get rid of them so he called me). the hive had free hanging comb(no frames)that I had to cut to fit lang deep frames and hold on with rubber bands then shake the ladies into then new hive body. As these ladies were new to me I wasn't sure how friendly they were going to be so I wore a heavy long sleeve shirt,latex gloves and vail. My wife standing 15-20 feet away said it was awsume to see all the bees around me as I cut and fit the comb (she was dressed in shorts and tank top and not wearing her vail (silly girl). I got stung three times on my hands and the silly girl got none. When I first started bee keeping the bigest thing for me to get used to was the ladies would land on my arms and or crawl up on my hands and my instinct was to GET THEM OFF(LOL) but they were just checking me out and ment no harm. sorry to get os long winded. Just take your time and be gental and you should be ok. Have fun,and enjoy. Jim

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the reassurance! I need it. I didn't think I'd be this nervous when it came time for inspection but I'm not feeling very confident. I hope my girls don't sense that. It is very windy today but sunny. I keep avoiding any weather that I think may set them off. They aren't coming out to forage like they have in the past days (even on the cloudy rainy days). I checked their sugar syrup levels today and they are consuming and there is still plenty. Just not so sure about that pollen patty.

Would it be advisable to at least look under the inner cover to see if I should replace the pollen patty and then do inspection tomorrow when the weather is suppose to be decent?

·
Registered
82 Posts
My first year I was stung once on the wrist. It was at the end of the season and I could tell the bees were in a foul mood when I walked into the yard.

They are all correct about clothing. First inspection, full suit and gloves. A year later, no gloves and an ultrabreeze jacket, shorts and flip-flops. Give me another year and its going to be a veil only.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Thanks everyone for the reassurance! I need it. I didn't think I'd be this nervous when it came time for inspection but I'm not feeling very confident. I hope my girls don't sense that. It is very windy today but sunny. I keep avoiding any weather that I think may set them off. They aren't coming out to forage like they have in the past days (even on the cloudy rainy days). I checked their sugar syrup levels today and they are consuming and there is still plenty. Just not so sure about that pollen patty.

Would it be advisable to at least look under the inner cover to see if I should replace the pollen patty and then do inspection tomorrow when the weather is suppose to be decent?
My ladies go on vacation when the weather is rainning! Soon as it stops rainning they must know the weather better then a weatherman cause they are out working soon as it stops rainning!...I think your worrying too much and you just need to let them be "bees"! I know i come to that conclusion cause they have lasted for many years on their own with no help at all! Its human instinct to be concerned but remember they will determine the out come. Hopefully you will have a strong colony with very gentle and happy bees! Just dont spoil them to much, i know i did mine. I been told that i built my bees a condo...hahaha

1 - 20 of 22 Posts