·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is an unoccupied hive, it has frames that were extracted last fall, I stuck 40 extracted frames out in boxes for my other hives to clean up and rob, rather than feeding syrup or sugar. They have packed away a ton of honey!

As for the dark bee, there were several of them robbing from that box, hopefully a wild colony somewhere close. And if they swarm hopefully they remember my address.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was planning on leaving a deep or two out with some drawn frames to act as swarm catchers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I believe that all bees are that color when you remove all their hair. If you notice the robbers tend to all be darker and when you look closely it is due to the fact that they have had their hair pulled off by other bees trying to stop them. (At least that is what I read here last year. :))

·
Registered
1 Posts
I believe that all bees are that color when you remove all their hair. If you notice the robbers tend to all be darker and when you look closely it is due to the fact that they have had their hair pulled off by other bees trying to stop them. (At least that is what I read here last year. :))

Making them into stealthy, streamlined, ninja bees! :eek:

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Since a queen mates with multiple drones she can produce offspring in a wide array of colors. I have one who's daughters range from very light to near black.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts