Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking ahead here, wondering if there are any alternatives to having to shell out for a nuc box. Is using a whole medium super definitely not possible? Can you partition a medium super?

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
Sure you can. You just need a dummy board. I would fill the rest of the box out with foundationless frames in case the bees get over there and start building, but not drawn comb in case the SHB or wax moths decide to move in there...

·
Registered
535 Posts
An 8 frame medium is the same size as a 5 frame deep. My favorite nuc is a six frame.
I consider a 10 frame medium to be a good nuc. Depends on what you want it for of course.

My opinion is you should have at least one nuc for every hive you have. When you learn to use them their extremely handy.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, good. I always wondered about that.

So for a dummy/partition board, probably 1/4"? Does it matter?

Just one nuc in a partitioned medium super, you probably don't have to be overworried about whether it's sealed off enough that they can't get into the other side, with foundationless frames over there, then. Probably wouldn't have to worry whether the divider went flush to the top of the inner cover, or whether the entrance is moved over to one side then. Right?

But, it would be good, to get maximum use out of one box, to set it up to hold 2 nucs in there, with a divider to the top and separate, opposite entrances for them. It looks fairly easy to make a shim with an entrance on both sides, one for each section.

If this is right, then I will start scrounging up a divider board and think about how to devise a 2-entrance shim. I don't think I can make the grooves for the divider board tho, I'll have to think of some other way to fasten the board in there, like nails/glue. Maybe with a 1/2" divider.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,171 Posts
If you are trying to make it beeproof you need to set it in a groove. Then 1/8" is the simplest as you can do a saw kerf. For a follower board any width will work from 1/8" to 3/4". I suppose you could even make it 1 1/2" if you had a scrap of that around...

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are trying to make it beeproof you need to set it in a groove.
Oh. Well, I guess I could try a saw, but it would have to be manual. It won't look pretty, but it can't be that hard.

·
Registered
638 Posts
sounds like you need some woodworking tools. In the mean while on amazon.com there is a book (I bought it and its a great book to have) called
"Build Your Own Beekeeping Equipment" by Tony Pisano.(catchy title huh? lol) Has just about everything you need to know in there to start. It's $16 but has saved me $100's and thats a fact Jack! lol

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
We build coates style nucs...4 complete from a sheet of ply.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Built 4 of the D Coats Boxes and building 8 more for a friend:}

Skill saw and a Jig Saw to cut entrance's is all I used, turned out pretty good IMHO lolhe

(Hint...Lowes will cut the 5 long cuts you need for almost free if you buy the plywood from them, then all you have left is the cross cuts...just saying)

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
+1 on Lowes. It saves you a ton of time to get them to do it on their saw versus snapping chalk lines and trying to get straight cuts. Plus it seems like the guys working there would rather run the saw than do other stuff in the store.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I'll just add that having a few nuc boxes around is extremely useful. I made a batch of the D. Coates boxes last year, and used them to make splits, move frames, and as swarm traps. Ne serious beekeeper should be without at least a couple.

·
Registered
145 Posts
hi I was wondering if you know were to buy a 6 frame nuc or have plans to build them. I have been thinking about using 6 frame box to build my hives.

·
Registered
145 Posts
yes I have thought about that. I have been drawing up plans. I would feel more comfortable if the plans have already been used by someone else and they are working for them.

·
Registered
652 Posts
add 1.5" to whatever the 5 frame design says. hundreds of people use the D. Oates plans for 5 frame.. so that works... so add 1.5" to allow another frame wider and you'll be good there is already a little bit of play built in so the frames move freely.

if you're real nervous about it then get a few cardboard boxes and make templates and stick them together with duct tape and see what you think.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts