Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed yesterday that one of our top bar hive observation windows has quite a few wax flakes stuck to the glass. Since they were still there this morning, i'm assuming the bees aren't all that interested in cleaning it up. Has anyone else dealt with a similar issue? Is it a "just live with it" kind of thing, or is there a safe way to "scrub" it off? The windows aren't actually glass, so i don't think scraping is an option.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Have an extra one to swap out. Mineral oil will help clean but it's easier in the tub with no bees around.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,182 Posts
When I'm ready for any extensive work (like other than swapping or removing a frame) I put all the frames from the observation hive in a nuc that sits with it's entrance right where the now blocked tube is. Then I can clean or modify things at my leisure. I clean glass with a razor scraper, follow up with some windex and let it air out well. I clean plexiglass with a rubber spatula, follow up with mineral oil laxative, wipe as dry as I can and follow up with windex and then let it air out well. It's a lot of work and I usually only do a complete workover like this about once a year.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your replies everyone! For now, i think i'll just live with it, and maybe do a mineral oil laxative clean up once a year. Rubber spatula is a fantastic tip!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts