Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Days are getting warmer,but, the nights are still cold. The temptation to start feeding is here. What's your rule on when you start feeding syrup?
When you do start the syrup do you mix meds, honey B healthy, just what is your ingredients.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Here are some generalizations for you

Bees can;t effectivly consume syrup if it is below 45degrees F. So, even on a 50degree day, they can;t take syrup for most of it if it is fed outside the hive. Fed in baggies over the cluster, they can consume it a bit sooner as the cluster heat warms it some. So, this is more temperature dependant than anything

I mix only sugar and water, but I've only had bees for a year and I'm a treatment free proponent. With that said, I'd rahter have treated live bees than dead treatment free bees, so I'll treat if i need to. I'm not real big on suppliments, so i cant help you with info on that.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
We are starting to get some 50 degree days and I was advised by some commercial bee folk that soon I should be putting up some 1:1 syrup. It is still cold at night and some days so will likely switch from sugar blocks in a week or so.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've been feeding outside for the past couple days and they are definitely consuming it. I also put individuals baggie feeders top administer fumagilin and one hive took it within 2 days, and the other took it down in 3-4 days.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
There is very good forage available, presently. But, many of the splits I'm creating have very few foragers. Those I've set up with homemade masonite sided frame feeders, some of those are taking 1/2 gallon of 1:1 in less than 2 days, before needing a refill. Happily they're building some nice combs in their new foundationless frames.

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I feed only above 50 degrees with a jar on top of the hive. More and more forage is becoming available quickly.

I also feed only when an inspection indicates they do not have enough stores of their own. With warm weather and plus 50 degree days since the first of the year there where no hives that had enough stores to get through winter. I am expecting bees to be swarming in the next three weeks if not sooner.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I see you are not very far north of me so here is what I do. I fed heavy syrup until it got too cold back in the fall. They consumed or stored syrup until December 1 or there abouts. I did treat for mites in September. Last weekend I started feeding again and they are taking a quart per day on warmer days. My hives face east and the sun gets them going good when the weather is clear. This may not be correct, but I have not lost any hives this winter even though I left them with open screened bottoms and no dry sugar.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts