Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
queens from N. California are having trouble this summer in my apiary.
half of the 30 queens I introduced are either being superceded or have been.
anyone else seeing this issue this year?

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
Yes, but the queens are not from NC...it has been a very odd year so far, but I am still very new...

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
I don't know about queens from N. Calfornia, but the queens I have from GA sem to be doing well, if they get accepted. I don't think that the acceptance rate is abnormal. I tagged a set of hives that I installed caged queens in, splits I made from hives in the blueberries in NC. Most of those 80 took. Those that didn't I stuck a queen cell in and most of them worked. I need to pay better attention.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I have two packages that came from Northern California and one has no brood now and the other has very little. Time to re-queen.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I started two California packages May 3, one hive swarmed at a little over three weeks and is now queen right and the other hive is real strong and will need a fourth box soon. I have all eight frame mediums. The queen that swarmed was laying well and had room but had wander lust. All in all I am happy with the results.

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
The California bees I have bought the last two years make me ashamed to be a Californian.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I hived 10 packages on April 6th from N. Cali and stats are as follows for mine.. 1 killed queen right off the bat once she was released, and laying workers took over immediately, 1 queen was nearly superseded, changed their minds and cut down the cell now doing fine, 1 queen absconded or died off about a month ago and didn't bother to try to requeen theirself. I had to introduce virgin to that hive. Other then that, i've had good luck with them so far. only a 20% failure on queens.

·
Super Moderator
10,453 Posts
after selling off splits i have 20 colonies remaining all with queens that were raised locally this year. so far they are all doing well, but the real test will be to see if they fail over the winter while there is no chance for supercedure.

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Yes, it seems like this year is a bit hotter than other years. The workers are not as tolerant
toward the new queens. Many good queens got balled and dies within the hour already.
Still, it is a good opportunity to make more that it is still early in the season here. I plan to make
some Fall queens as well.
I use a window hardware cloth for queen intro. So far so good that they are laying.
It is hard but we can find a way around it. Easy to be killed but also easy to make too.

·
Registered
3,649 Posts
Re: Trouble.
You will find that there are a lot of variables in the queen situation.
Some of these variables are:
Shipping method.
Introduction method.
Varroa mite control method or methods. (wax contamination.)
Honey flow or dearth.

I could go on and on.
This topic has been going on since queen rearing started.
Others can make contributions to the topic.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The California bees I have bought the last two years make me ashamed to be a Californian.
I'm also ashamed that you're a Californian!

Our club ordered over 100 packs and 48 queens from Z's Bees in Orland Ca. We had only 5 duds total in which Z's replaced at no charge.

Greg Zitlaw at Z's knows what customer service is and we really appreciated his service. He also hosted a grafting class free of charge for our entire club.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
300 from Heitkams, and 60 from Koehnens all put into nucs.. Only a small percentage of duds. Most are doing great. No complaints from me.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
300 from Heitkams, and 60 from Koehnens all put into nucs.. Only a small percentage of duds. Most are doing great. No complaints from me.

Considering the adverse conditions prevailing because of both the drought and the dreaded swather disease I think we are doing pretty fair. Not going to make any honey here this year so we are tearing apart double deeps currently and putting queens in on the No-Q sides. 80 more going in tomorrow. Not to worried as long as the syrup hose is nearby. Our queen acceptance and failure rate seems to ber less of an issue this year than it was 4 or 5 years back.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
" both the drought and the dreaded swather disease"
Yep, gonna be tough from here on......Bees are robbing already.Syrup truck is on the way..

There are lots of reasons bees supercede.They seem to blame the queen for everything that goes wrong, from heavy mite loads,viruses, to too much formic or even bee go.

Still, 50% is a bit much.

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Our club got about 200 packages out of Willows, CA. The queens where well excepted, didn't need to give away the extra queens that came with the order.
After 2 months the extra queens where still alive in their bank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts