Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It makes more sense to me that the dearth is of nectar, but I'm not sure why. But I can tell you that I haven't seen any pollen going into the hives for at least a week. So that makes me think it's a dearth of both and I'm just being stubborn and sticking to my original theory...

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
More or less: it's both. :thumbsup:

Although with the crazy number of flower types blooming, I REFUSE to believe there isn't pollen to be had, at least. I did see a bee and bee-type creature on a thistle blossom today, so maybe they're about to start hauling more in.

I do wish I knew what they were working around here. Wish I had teeny tiny GPS tags. :D

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I suppose every place is different, but around here every other bee will have pollen coming in during the spring. They stockpile pollen and then when the nectar flow starts I will be very few bees with pollen.

It just depends on what they need. They will be collecting pollen, nectar, propolis and water.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've also noticed, although they may be coming in with less pollen, the pollens they are collecting right now seem to be darker in nature--not some of the bright yellows of earlier in the summer/late spring. Makes it harder for me to see unless I'm looking quite closely.

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
I've also noticed, although they may be coming in with less pollen, the pollens they are collecting right now seem to be darker in nature--not some of the bright yellows of earlier in the summer/late spring.

I checked a couple hives today, and saw banana yellow bees running around in the broodnest. I don't know what they were working, but it just came into bloom, as I have not been seeing this until now.

Their pollen baskets were not full of yellow pollen, but they were completely covered in yellow dust

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Their pollen baskets were not full of yellow pollen, but they were completely covered in yellow dust

I noticed the same think earlier this week. Everything is blooming early this year. I haven't figured out where they are getting it yet.

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts