Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate to keep asking these very VERY basic questions but I'm only into this a couple months and I have hive and super kits and all kinds of stuff all over my garage. (it was a great Christmas)

Is the Bottom Board supposed to be permanently fixed to the first hive box? I have these really neat screened BB's. I don't know how to use them but I have time to learn.

Curt

·
Registered
415 Posts
Not normally.
BUT, I know of two people that do screw them to the brood (or bottom) box.
Ask 10 Beeks, get 10 answers.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I don't attach them. Need to be able to get into them just in case. When I move the hive, I use a rachet strap. Holds everything together nice and tight.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I accidentially nailed mine as I was new and didnt understand. I also built my own hives, bb and all. This being said, I havent had any issues yet.....i am switching them to all mediums in the spring, so I will have to "unnail it" but it should not be a big deal I wouldnt think! I built 2 when i started beeking, and needed an extra hive body. I tore apart the unused deep and cut it down to a medium. All i did was remove the nails. No problem doing so, and I got a little crazy with the brad nailer...LOLLOL

·
Banned
2,668 Posts
If it is not screwed down, it makes it a lot easier to clean the bottom board in the spring, and a lot easier to reverse hive bodies.

I have a couple old boxes with a bottom board that is screwed on. I like them for gathering swarms or doing cutouts.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I screw the BB to my Nucs, but not hives. Nucs are subject to moving since I use them for splits, swarm capture, etc. Other than Nucs, I do not fasten the BB to a standard hive, but the bees seem to propolise them together more often than not.

·
Registered
359 Posts
The only time I attach the bottom board to the bottom hive body is when moving the hive. If You have several hives to move you can staple them with hive staples or if only a few hives use ratchet straps(staples are cheaper than ratchet straps).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is GREAT !!!!

Thank you so much.

"rachet strap. Holds everything together nice and tight."

Great alternative/option.

Curt

·
Registered
410 Posts
I screwed mine on, but I would move them 6 to 8 times a year and used a hive loader which grasped the hives under the end cleats. Straps do not work with 300 hives.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I think most people only secure the BB to the HB only when they are going to move it. The ratchet strap will work but, if you have time I would recomend using the hive staples. Then it won't move, it can slip some with the ratchet strap. JMHO

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I hate to keep asking these very VERY basic questions. I don't know how to use them but I have time to learn.
First off, if you don't ask, how will you find out? Trial and error is kind of expensive. Been there; done that!

I use hive staples to secure my screened bottom boards to the hive body, but these are hives I plan to relocate. When I make splits or hive a swarm, I use boxes with secured bottoms as they are easier to move, as others have alluded to as well.

Once these hives are settled, I geneally switch over to unattached screen bottoms as they are easier to clean out in the spring.

BTW, I detest moving hives. WAY TOO MUCH WORK. I would rather move a nuc box or a single brood box, but anything that starts requiring straps, handcarts and ramps....not interested.

Grant
Jackson, MO

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I'm with Grant on this, and like Grant said you can clean the bottom board without disturbing the bees to much, which save the bees alot of work. Also i'm one of those that likes to rotate brood chambers in the spring to help prevent swarming, which would be more defficult if the bottom board was attached. In my case the answer to your question would be no, unless your moving the hives a long distance. Good luck, Jack

1 - 14 of 14 Posts