Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep bees in central Texas (close to austin) and I wanted to know how the summer heat will effect my hives.

Central Texas Summers routinely reach consecutive weeks of 95+ degree temps with several being in the 100's. I have water close by so the bees can cool the hive to an extent, but I was wondering if I need to provide shade during the hottest parts of the day with an adjustable shade cloth. I have the reflective telescoping hive tops and my bees are up on stands to help facilitate ventilation.

Will consistent high temps like this effect my bees?

Thanks
WJ

·
Super Moderator
11,224 Posts
I'm not in Texas, but in Tennessee, and I try to locate my hives in full sun. Small hive beetles are a concern here, and my understanding SHB are an issue in Texas also. Full sun seems to lead to less SHB than shaded hive locations.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I'm in SE Texas, and brand new at this. I was advised some afternoon shade may be a good idea?

Also wondering about using screened bottom boards instead of solid to aid ventilation?

Going to follow this.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Before SHB afternoon shade was advisable however with SHB you need every edge you can get. The bees tolerate more heat and sun than the beetle.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I put them in the shade for my own benefit, but in the winter i put them in a sunny area. They survive better in the sun during the winter.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I prefer afternoon shade here, it's hot enough in the shade and I've had plenty of outside combs collapse due to direct sun when it's over 100 degrees out.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Probably of more import is soils types and moisture content as it relates to SHB reproduction. Shaded areas are more conducive to SHB than sun baked soils.
Like everything though decisions are a series of trade offs.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Full sun some late afternoon shade. I also make my own telescoping covers and cover them with white vinyl aluminium trim coil and it keeps the hives cooler during those hot days. I also keep water in cement mixing trays close by as well.

·
Registered
768 Posts
WJ

I am about 2 hours south of you. We get 100+ degrees on a regular basis in summer (6 months out of the year). I had all my hives in full sun last year. This year I am opting for afternoon shade so I planted some trees. They will get a little this year and a good amount next year, if the trees survive. I run screened bottom boards on all my hives. It for sure cut down on the ZZ Top bearding. They still haul water in massive caravans. Your bees, you choose.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts